New brewery in southern Delaware- 16 Mile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
Even though I live in Bumcrack, DE, now I'm a 10 minute drive from 2 craft breweries! A new brewery is up and running in Georgetown called 16 Mile Brewing Company. They only have one beer out right now called Amber Sun Ale and I tried this a few weeks ago.

I believe it's currently only available locally. It comes in a 22 oz. (650 ml) aluminum bottle for ~$5.99 and it is on draft at a few places as well. Their website describes it accurately:
A traditional amber ale with an initial roasty flavor followed by a sweeter finish with just the right bitterness.
... although I didn't find the roastiness to be very noticeable. It is 5.5% ABV with an SRM around 9 (give or take). It has a relatively low carbonation level and the head retention was low. But this is a tasty ale reminiscent of British ales. It had a significant caramel sweetness balanced by just the right amount of bitterness. Hop flavor and aroma were there (I won't guess at the types), but balanced as well. If I were to take a stab at some of the grain bill, I'd say Marris Otter with some medium crystals (40/60/80?), but I could be off on that. If they use any roasted barley or malts (for the "roasty flavor"), it is minimal since the color and flavor don't readily exhibit it.

Overall this is a very good beer and a nice alternative to the other local (/international) craft brewery. I emailed the website and the owners responded by personally inviting me to the 15 bbl brewery! I'm anxious to stop by as soon as I get my life back in order (broken foot/auto accident and upcoming newborn 1st child) I'll stop by and check it out.

Have you heard or been to Evolution Brewing? It is in the Laurel area, right near Trap Pond campground. I found it while camping, and have not yet been there.

There was a write up I think in spark a few weeks ago about them. I saw a bottle in the liquor store a couple weeks ago but I think it was 7.99 for a 22oz. I didn't want to spend that much on a style that is so broad that who knows what you are going to get.

I might have to give it a try though.

Have you heard or been to Evolution Brewing? It is in the Laurel area, right near Trap Pond campground. I found it while camping, and have not yet been there.

Yeah, that's down by the Maryland boarder in Delmar. I read about it, but haven't seen it for sale in the shops (haven't looked very hard either). They seem like they are definitely worth a try.

There was a write up I think in spark a few weeks ago about them. I saw a bottle in the liquor store a couple weeks ago but I think it was 7.99 for a 22oz. I didn't want to spend that much on a style that is so broad that who knows what you are going to get.

I might have to give it a try though.

$7.99!? I paid $5.99 down here. Maybe shop around and you might find it for a more reasonable price.

I plan on going to state line tomorrow or saturday. I will take a look there. That was just at the liquor near my house that surprisingly has a really good micro selection.

Sorry all, it's been a long time since I've been on here. 16 Mile has their second beer out, Old Court Ale. I had it along with the Amber Sun Ale. Both were fantastic. I think that the best part was that they are lightly carbed. It really bring s the flavor out. It is a bit pricey though. I probably won't be buying it again anytime soon just because of the price/selection. $6 for 22oz. I normally want more than 22oz., but don't care to pay that price. Especially if I can refill my 64oz growler at Evolution for $7.

I have, I think, become a regular at Evolution. The beer is on the lighter flavor side of ales; it's definately not Dogfish. But it does appeal to a growing crowd of DE beer drinkers. My wife can even drink their beer. They usually have 4 or 5 beers on tap. You can sample their beers for $5, buy a growler for $12, or refill a growler for $7. The six packs just recently came into stores, but they are have trouble keeping them on the shelves.

The owners of Evolution also recently opened a small pizza joint in Salisbury, called Specific Gravity. The have their beer on tap, as well as a good selection of other craft brews. I missed it but they had one of the two kegs of Stone's 09/09/09 that came to the Eastern Shore. They do have, or had, Sierra Nevada's Harvest Ale. That is probably my new fav beer.

Just went to Specific Gravity tonight for my birthday. They still have Harvest Ale on tap and it is awesome! I highly recommend at least one trip there. Try the whitehaven wings, amazing.

Back