How much wort do whole/plug hops soak up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
Long time brewer but first time posting, most of my questions I can already find answered here. I use pellets for bittering and plugs or whole hops for late additions and dry hopping, but am always left guessing about how much wort I should anticipate loosing from them. Does anyone know roughly how much, say, an ounce of whole hops would soak up? Thanks.

I think, in addition to absorption, it's a matter of how much of the trub you feel like leaving behind. I used homegrown whole hops the first time this weekend and got a significant amount less in the fermenter because i didn't factor in what seemed like more trub than usual.

As discussed on another thread many of us HB'ers are hop squeezers. If you contain them in a bag while brewing you can then squeeze the bag to extract most of the liquid. Not sure how to estimate due to many different factors such as how long they were in the boil, how intact they were to begin with, age of hops, handling, etc.

Dried hops are about 20% the weight of fresh hops, so an ounce of dried hops will absorb four times its weight.

As discussed on another thread many of us HB'ers are hop squeezers. If you contain them in a bag while brewing you can then squeeze the bag to extract most of the liquid. Not sure how to estimate due to many different factors such as how long they were in the boil, how intact they were to begin with, age of hops, handling, etc.

SWMBO is a bag squeezer!!!

Sorry, had to say it!;)

Latest posts

Back