apple cinnamon mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
The third and final mead that I am making for my wedding is at my fiances request. It will be an apple cinnamon mead. It should be lower in alcohol (9 - 10%), and slightly carbonated.

This will be my first cyser. Any idea for a recipe?

How much fermentables are given by apple juice? How much honey should be blended in? How much cinnamon to use, and when to add it, in secondary in just prior to bottling?

Any thoughts?

- magno

This was the first mead that I ever made. I got the recipe from brewery.org. It turned out very good, but it took it about a year to become drinkable after bottling . For the first six months it tasted like it was made with acetone or another paint thinner.

Apple Pie Mead

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classification: mead, cyser
Source: [email protected], r.c.b., 5/21/95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been wanting to share a recipe for a batch I'm enjoying now that is fantastic (and leaves your senses reeling). The spices are subtle, so don't be afraid to add more...
Ingredients: (for 5 gallons)
1 Gal Honey (12 lbs)
2 Gal Pure, Unfiltered Apple Cider (pasteurized!)
3 Cinnamon Sticks
5 Cloves
2 Nutmeg "Buttons", grated
~4 Tbs Acid Blend
Wyeast Dry Mead Yeast
Yeast Energizer
Procedure:
Boil honey in 2 1/2 gallons water for 30 minutes; skim scum as it rises. Add all spices and yeast energizer in final 5 minutes; cover and let steep for 15 minutes. Add must to cider in fermenter. Test for acid and add acid blend as desired. Pitch a big, healthy starter of yeast. Rack in 2 weeks, again in another 4 weeks, again in another 4 weeks. Bottle when crystal clear and prime at your own risk.
Specifics:
OG: 1.112
FG: 1.004

Sweet thanks. I'm going to start this one in about a week, so, the sooner I can get a recipe nailed down the better.

Welcome to the forum

- magno

JimmyDon

For how long did your Apple Cinnamon mead actively ferment in the primary?

I saw your recipe not long after you posted it and decided to try it myself. As this is my first attempt with mead, I'm concerned that CO2 production has nearly stopped after ~18 days and that the mix is still rather cloudy. I am trying to have faith that it will become transparent over time, but I'm also pondering whether fermentation has finished "on schedule" or is stuck (and thus requires the pitching of additional yeast).

In addition, were the acetone flavors present as early as when you had transferred from the primary to the secondary? I tasted mine and thought I might pour it out until I recalled your comments regarding acetone/thinner flavors.

Thanks in advance.

I cant answer for JimmyDon, but mi cinnamon cyser was active for about three weeks. It seems to have slowed down now, and I will rack it soon.

I'll keep you posted

- magno

Great, thanks. I'll be interested to hear how your results compare.

FYI, I transferred this batch to a secondary carboy last night. My current measurements (OG: 1.103, FG: 1.000) suggest an alcohol content of ~13%. It had been in the primary for 21 days and I had used a starter.

Have you had any experience with adding spices to secondary fermentation? Using a close facsimile of Jimmy's recipe, I found the flavor to be weaker than I'd hoped and have considered adding a cinnamon stick -- or perhaps something else -- to the secondary for the ~2 months it will sit before re-racking.

Im still kind of up in the air about whether to add the cinnamon to the secondary or right at bottling. At this point, I will probably be adding it to the secondary.

- magno

Back