Non fermenting Apple Cider Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSU123lion

Reaction score
Two Nights ago a brewed a amber ale from extract. I toped off to 5 gallons with fresh apple cider. It has been two days and has not started to ferment yet. I was wondering if I should wait longer. Is there a preservative in the cider that killed the yeast? Or did I get a bad batch of yeast and should I add more? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

All cider bought or sold in the united states that is not directly from the orchard must contain a chemical preservative which does not allow yeast reproduction... so if you bought it at the store and it didnt say it was fresh off the orchard... say its your regular store boguth fresh cider... its got a preservative in it...

I had a similar problem with some apfewein. I made it to Ed Wort's recipe, but I substituted in 2 gallons of cider.

It took 72 hours for the yeast to take off. Then it started slowly, but eventually got going. I believe that it does have something to do with a preservative in the Apple Cider.

The good news is that it has gone from 1064 to 999 and tastes absolutely delicious!

I doubt you used more than 2 gallons of cider, so I am willing to bet that you will be fine. As long as you were very sanitary, the lag shouldn't hurt you. I bet it will start in the next 24 hours or so.

I Hope so! I will wait it out. It was a store bought Cider but it was in the produce section and refrigerated and listed as fresh. There was sedimet on the bottome of the gallon container. I wanted to add two gallons but only had one, so hopefully it will take off.

I've bought juice and cider that didn't have preservatives that were regular store brands. Check the ingredient list and see what's there other than apple.

yep, I used the same thing. Bought it in the gallon jugs(like a milk jug). It was located in the produce section as well.

I was very worried about this as well, but it worked out.

If it goes another 24 hours with no activity, I would suggest buying a cheap pack of T-58 yeast, rehydrate it @ 85 degrees for 30 minutes, then pitch(be super cautious and clean).

Your t-58 should go gangbusters after it is rehydrated and create a nice clean flavor.

I checked the ingrediants and it lists: Apples, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to maintain freshness.

All cider bought or sold in the united states that is not directly from the orchard must contain a chemical preservative which does not allow yeast reproduction... so if you bought it at the store and it didnt say it was fresh off the orchard... say its your regular store boguth fresh cider... its got a preservative in it...

It is quite possible that preservatives COULD be the problem here. But what you said is just not true, sorry.

I'm staring at a big bottle of Mott's (The most popular brand in the US) and it's got no preservatives. Most brands don't, even the cheap stuff. It's pasteurized and then a bit of vitamin C is added.

I'd give it a bit longer, your yeast may overcome :O

It is quite possible that preservatives COULD be the problem here. But what you said is just not true, sorry.

I'm staring at a big bottle of Mott's (The most popular brand in the US) and it's got no preservatives. Most brands don't, even the cheap stuff. It's pasteurized and then a bit of vitamin C is added.

I'd give it a bit longer, your yeast may overcome :O

Nope Motts makes apple juice (two differnt things), and at least where i live they do not make apple cider, real fresh apple cider is mandated by the FDA if sold in stores to have a chemical preservative which does not allow the production or reproduction of yeast, i am not sure if it can be over come sounds like it can,... that would be potasium sorbate, or another chemical preservative... some have begun using large ammounts of Vitimin C to inhibit early fermentation but the FDA only allows the sale of this cider for a limited time each year... From what you said it sound like you are using apple juice if it says apple cider on the bottle then i will be extreamly surprised... if i can find the FDA listing i will post it... When i make Hard cider i put i use wither fresh cider from an orchard or i use Sams choice in gallon jugs...

Edit note: found it and i am only slightly wrong, in 1974 the FDA passed a law which required all bottled, caned, and preserved food meaning dairy, friut juice, and many others to be preserved with a chemical preservative, as well as pasturized due to a large our break of botulism caused by caned vegetables and juice. This law applies to all food which is to be tested and approved for sale by the food and drug adminstration. Later in the 1980's the law was amended to allow high does of vitimin C and other natral Acids to be used as an alternative seeind as the main chemical preservative allowed by the FDA was found to cause cancer. Continueing later it was revised that all food which were promoted for use specficly with children under the age of three will not allow the use of any chemical preservatives.... So it wasnt for fear of fermentation it was for fear of an out break of bactieral pathogens the law was put in place, it is still in effect and still does not allow cider to be sold without pasturization and a preservative of some kind, main potasium sorbate...

Cheers

I checked the ingrediants and it lists: Apples, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to maintain freshness.

You have a double whammy there- both sorbate and benzoate are preservatives that ale yeast and/or wine yeast can not ferment. I use sorbate to stabilize my wines if I'm sweetening them, as they won't allow the yeast to reproduce to ferment them.

Since it's a small amount of juice for the batch, though, it still might take off.

Next time, read the ingredients and stay away from anything listing "sorbate".

I used apple cider (not apple juice) found in the juice section of walmart. no preservatives added, just pasturized. it works great.

Nope Motts makes apple juice (two differnt things), and at least where i live they do not make apple cider, real fresh apple cider is mandated by the FDA if sold in stores to have a chemical preservative which does not allow the production or reproduction of yeast, i am not sure if it can be over come sounds like it can,... that would be potasium sorbate, or another chemical preservative... some have begun using large ammounts of Vitimin C to inhibit early fermentation but the FDA only allows the sale of this cider for a limited time each year... From what you said it sound like you are using apple juice if it says apple cider on the bottle then i will be extreamly surprised... if i can find the FDA listing i will post it... When i make Hard cider i put i use wither fresh cider from an orchard or i use Sams choice in gallon jugs...

cheers

BTW, lots of juices and ciders don't have sorbate. Some do, but many don't. Most list "ascorbic acid", sulfite, and apple juice/cider. Those are all fine and will ferment in a wine or beer.

I also just looked at Mott's website they do not market an apple cider only juice, they do not use a chemical preservative like potasium sorbate because their marketing falls under the later amendment to the law and applies to children under three who apperantly consume apple juice for the vitimin C which is used to preserve it... You were mistaken Kilgore, merely if you thought that Apple juice and Apple cider is the same thing, which they are not.

I also just looked at Mott's website they do not market an apple cider only juice, they do not use a chemical preservative like potasium sorbate because their marketing falls under the later amendment to the law and applies to children under three who apperantly consume apple juice for the vitimin C which is used to preserve it... You were mistaken Kilgore, merely if you thought that Apple juice and Apple cider is the same thing, which they are not.

I always thought under the Americanized term they were similar products.

Apple cider being unfiltered Apple Juice

-or-

Apple cider being unfiltered Apple Juice with some spices(cinnamon, etc.)

I checked the ingrediants and it lists: Apples, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to maintain freshness. It was pasturized and also had Malic (apple) Acid. I am reaching 72 hours and still nothing.

Thanks for all the info and help keep it coming!

Murray Cider Company

Look, its an american company selling apple juice and apple cider that have no preservatives (they are pasturized) all year long. It looks like the BrewinJack Myth has been debunked.

You have a double whammy there- both sorbate and benzoate are preservatives that ale yeast and/or wine yeast can not ferment. I use sorbate to stabilize my wines if I'm sweetening them, as they won't allow the yeast to reproduce to ferment them.

Since it's a small amount of juice for the batch, though, it still might take off.

Next time, read the ingredients and stay away from anything listing "sorbate".

K sorbate will not stop fermentation it only will sterilize the yeast. This means that when using cider with k sorbate you will need a very large amount of healthy yeast to eat the sugars needed for a robust fermentation. I have 6 gallons of cider fermenting atm with k sorbate.

Back