Question about making 1 gallon of wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstampler

Reaction score
I've never made a one gallon batch of wine. I've been using 6 gallon carboys and I've recently bought 4 one gallon jugs to try out some recipe's before committing to 6 gallons.

Anyway, I've been reading through a lot of Jack keller's recipe's and I've noticed that a lot of them say to start in a primary and then move it to a secondary. This recipe below for example talks about putting the berries in a grain bag, putting them on the bottom of the primary and crushing them to release their juices before adding the water.

My question is, the only primary bucket I have is my 7.5 gallon bucket that I use for my 5-6 gallon batches. Can I use this bucket even though it will only be a small fraction of the way full? Obviously since I have to crush the berries in the grain bag, I can't put them in a 1 gallon jug, or am I supposed to put them in the jug and use the back end of my stirring spoon to crush the berries?

Below is the recipe I'm referring to. Any help would be great.

RED RASPBERRY WINE (1)
3-4 lbs fresh red raspberries
2-1/4 lbs finely granulated sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/8 tsp grape tannin
7-1/2 pints water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 crushed Campden tablet
Champagne wine yeast

Pick only ripe berries. Combine water and sugar and put on to boil, stirring occasionally. Wash and destem berries. Put in nylon straining bag, tie, put in botton of primary, and crush berries in bag. Pour boiling sugar-water over berries to set the color and extract the flavorful juice. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient. Allow to cool to 70 degrees F. and add crushed Campden tablet. Cover primary with plastic wrap secured with a large rubber band. Add pectic enzyme after 12 hours and wine yeast after additional 12 hours, resecuring plastic wrap each time. Stir daily for a week, replacing plastic wrap if it looks like it needs it. Remove nylon bag and allow to drip drain about an hour, keeping primary covered as before. Do not squeeze bag. Return drippings to primary and use bag of pulp for "second" wine if you made a double recipe (combine bags, but only make one gallon of "second" wine). Continue fermentation in primary another week, stirring daily. Rack to secondary, top up with water and fit airlock. Use a dark secondary or wrap with brown paper (from paper bag) to preserve color. Ferment additional 2 months, then rack into clean secondary. Refit airlock and rack after additional 2 months. Wait another 2 months, rack again and bottle into dark glass. Drink after one year. This is an excellent dry wine, but don't rush it! You must ferment the full 6 months and age another year. Serve chilled.

Yea the brew bucket will be fine. During primary fermentation headspace is not an issue. Have fun!

One thing I'd suggest doing is scale up to 1.5 gallon sized batches, because you'll "lose" some to lees and then you can just have some extra in a wine bottle or growler (with a bung an airlock) for topping up. You'll get a lot of sediment with raspberry wine.

One other question I have is regarding the part that says "Cover primary with plastic wrap secured with a large rubber band." Do I really not want to use the lid of the bucket with an airlock? Where the hell am I going to get plastic wrap wide enough to cover the opening of the bucket?

One other question I have is regarding the part that says "Cover primary with plastic wrap secured with a large rubber band." so I really not want to use the lit of the bucket with an airlock? Where the hell am I going to get plastic wrap wide enough to cover the opening of the bucket?

Use wide aluminum foil.

A towel works equally well. In the bucket you just want to keep fruit flies out is all.

So I can't use the lid of the bucket with an airlock on it?

If you insist, you sure can. Just take it off a few times a day to get rid of some co2, and punch down any "cap" that forms on the wine. It's easier to cover it with a towel, and leave the long handled spoon right in there, but if you want to take out the spoon and sanitize it each time you use it you can use the bucket lid if you feel you have to. If you have a ton of fruitflies, it's probably a good idea to use the lid to keep them out.

Some people use the lid, but put a cotton ball in the airlock hole to cover it.

If you insist, you sure can. Just take it off a few times a day to get rid of some co2, and punch down any "cap" that forms on the wine. It's easier to cover it with a towel, and leave the long handled spoon right in there, but if you want to take out the spoon and sanitize it each time you use it you can use the bucket lid if you feel you have to. If you have a ton of fruitflies, it's probably a good idea to use the lid to keep them out.

Some people use the lid, but put a cotton ball in the airlock hole to cover it.

Thanks a lot! The cotton ball idea seems like a good one so I may try that. If I just use a towel, can I just drape it over the bucket with nothing really holding it tight? I'm just so used to making sure everyhing is sanitized and keeping oxygen out.

Thanks a lot! The cotton ball idea seems like a good one so I may try that. If I just use a towel, can I just drape it over the bucket with nothing really holding it tight? I'm just so used to making sure everyhing is sanitized and keeping oxygen out.

You still sanitize everything!

Covering it is just fine.

Start with a slightly larger volume than a gallon, scale the recipe up to get the right proportions.

I start with about 1.5 gallons and then after fermentation I fill a 4 liter carlo rossi jug and a split wine bottle for topping up. I then rack once into another 4 liter jug and top up with the reserved split after the wine has mostly cleared. I wait around 2 months then rack once more into a gallon jug and then allow 2 more months to finish. If you start with 1.5 gallons you will only end up with about a gallon of wine in the end.

Oh and for my 1 gallon batches (finish volume) I use a large stainless serving bowl for my primary and cover with a dish towel.

I use cheese cloth and folder rubber bands (both at Walmart). BTW a bucket labeled 5 gallons at Walmart was really only 4. I make small batches and use a 3 gal bucket for the primary in one gal batches.

Back