Attenuating Too Much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
I just got back from my LHBS with ingredients for an imperial IPA. They didn't have any of the San Diego Super Yeast so I got WLP099 (high gravity) yeast. My anticipated SG is going to be around 1.088, FG around 1.010. After doing some research on the forum it seems that this stuff can go down to almost 1.000. Not what I had in mind for a FG for the IPA. If I mash higher can I prevent my FG from going too low? Did I screw up getting this yeast?

Thanks.

You should be ok by mashing at a higher temp. 156-158 would be best. You could also fill a deep tray with some water and rest your carboy (if you use one) in there so it stays on the low end of fermentation. There are other factors that affect attenuation such as ph, pitching rate etc. But make sure you pitch the right amount (750.000 yeast cells X millilitres of wort X degree Plato).

Hope this helps!

Extract or all-grain? Extract tends to always have enough un-fermentables to leave a slightly higher F.G, If all grain, mash at higher temps, leaving you with more un-fermentables. Either way you will be fine.....

It's all grain. The original mash temp was 150. Upping it to 156-158 should solve my problem?

Back