Rough Morning - Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of an APA that I naturally carbonated in the keg for the first time. After two weeks of carbing up I put two stainless steel mesh tee balls of cascade in the keg to dry hop. Pulled the relief valve last night to remove the dry hops and beer shot everywhere. I threw it in the fridge to settle down and when I opened the keg this morning I found once of the balls had opened while dry hopping and the beer is super foamy and hop gunk is everywhere. I need advice on what steps to take now... should i let it cold crash and then try racking it even though it's fully carbonated? Any other thoughts?

I haven't even had coffee yet this morning...

I had a similar issue and just filtered it through a water filter with a 5 micron filter. I pushed it with CO2 and recarbed it. Everything turned out great.

If you used powdered hops then it will eventually settle to the bottom. The first couple of glasses will be full of hops gunk but the rest will stay on the bottom as long as you don't move the keg.

If you used leaf hops then you need to find a way to filter it out - leaf hops will plug up your liquid side poppet valve.

de3isit said:
I had a similar issue and just filtered it through a water filter with a 5 micron filter. I pushed it with CO2 and recarbed it. Everything turned out great.

De3isit... Would it be possible to share the brand of filter? It sounds like you just run the filter inline of a jumper from one keg to another... Is that about right?

Here is a pic of my set up. I just push it with about 5 psi to keep the foaming to a minimum.

Filter.jpg

Just to update this thread incase anyone else runs into this situation, I ended up cold crashing for a few days and then jumpered the beer into a new pressurized keg. Worked like a charm and didn't even need a filter.

Latest posts

Back