Ventmatic vs. Perlick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
What's the difference if any besides the price and if I had unlimited money, which one would you choose? I plan on buying 4 for now and another in the future.

I really tried to find a thread that had this being discussed. I know most of you use Ventmatics, so try to stay unbiased.

Thanks, Evan

FWIW, I have 3 Ventmatics and they are awesome - I have no experience with the Perlicks, but the Perlicks are copies of Ventmatics, so why not go with the original?

- GL63

GrantLee63 said:
FWIW, I have 3 Ventmatics and they are awesome - I have no experience with the Perlicks, but the Perlicks are copies of Ventmatics, so why not go with the original?

- GL63

In a word, price. I have three Perlicks and am satisfied. The machining on the Ventmatics is better (based only on pictures I've seen), but the Perlicks work as advertised. If you intend to have numerous taps, then the $10 price difference adds up quickly.

There was recently a guy on Ebay (and a similar deal posted by Austinhomebrew) that brought the Shirrons down to the lowest Perlick price of $29 each effectively eliminating the price differential we usually see. I agree, Perlicks from superprod.com are $29 and the Shirrons are usually near $39. At that price difference, I'd stick with Perlick. At the new prices (if you can get them), I'd go with the slightly heftier Shirron. My homebrew club just compared the two in person and most people agreed they didn't see the big machining variances that were shown in pictures on the green board or where ever. That pic was like the worst perlick against the best shirron and unrealistic. They are both Rolexes in a sea full of Fossils.

Yea I bought 4 from that ebay seller (same guy as AHS) for $29 each. Absolutely love them.. the laser etching on the bottom is so neat :)

Back