Home Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm home today ill, sinus congestion and a splitting headache, and anticipate spending much of the day on HBT. I'm currently plopped into a big, over-stuffed comfy chair in our guest room - i like to be a little out of the way while SWMBO is puttering about the house doing her usual routine - feet up, pillows tucked about me.

This past Saturday, I judged at a competition for the first time as a credentialed BJCP judge (it was my third time judging) and it went remarkably well. I met Randy Mosher who was also judging, which was cool.

In the three sessions I judged, I evaluated 23 beers. Of those, only three did not feature dark roasted grains or malts. My taste buds were definitely worn out on coffee/roast/acidic/burnt flavors.

I had something similar this weekend Pappers. Sinus congestion and pain with a disgusting amount of drainage at inopportune times. It hit hard and has faded away pretty quickly. Very cool on meeting Randy Mosher!

It was cool meeting Randy. I'm the prize coordinator for a competition coming up in March and asked him if his brewery, 5 Rabbit, would be a sponsor. He gave me his card and told me to send the info. So, I went from meeting him to stalking him in a very quick timeline.

I met him at Siciliano's Market's Homebrew appreciation party a few years back at the seminars. He was very nice and had a lot of information on ingredients and enjoying beer. Got a book signed.

One of my buddies was a judge at that competition as well, assuming you mean the Lincoln Square Winter Brew Comp. I would have been there too with some entries, but they were maxed out when we inquired. (Randy Mosher is in the back on the left)

imagejpeg_2.jpg

So, I went from meeting him to stalking him in a very quick timeline.

Good man. I'm proud of you. I've begged, whined, borrowed and wheedled for prizes for the HBT comps, and I must say it takes a special kind of stalking to get the good stuff! Good job. :D

Randy sure seems to be a nice guy, from the few times I've met him. He gets teary eyed and choked up easily, which I think comes from a good heart. Or from drinking. Either one. :p

I'm in myself right now. I have a bit of a sunburn on my legs and face (I'm wearing shorts and sandals! and it's hot in the sun), but I feel great otherwise. No cold or flu bugs at all this winter. I shook hands with about 500 people at my dad's services, and many of them were sick or had been sick, but I managed to stay bug-free (or at least bug-resistant) so far this winter.

I annually get at least one nasty sinus infection. This year was especially bad. I thought I had the flu but my fever broke in a day so I didn't have it, or I have a super immune system. But I was stuffed up for some time, my cure for what ales me (wacka wacka wacka) is a shot of tabasco and some fresh pressed garlic. Garlic is known to fight infections and capsaicin provides pain relief, relieves congestion, and is anti-inflammatory.

Good man. I'm proud of you. I've begged, whined, borrowed and wheedled for prizes for the HBT comps, and I must say it takes a special kind of stalking to get the good stuff! Good job. :D

Its a lot of work, thats for sure. We've got a good list of sponsors so far, including three breweries that will each brew one of the gold medal winning beers (with the homebrewer, of course.) Lots of equipment, tshirts, glasses, gift certificates, hops and grain, too.

You can see the whole list at the bottom of the page here, although we're not quite done yet http://www.bossbeer.org/competition.html

my cure for what ales me (wacka wacka wacka) is a shot of tabasco and some fresh pressed garlic. Garlic is known to fight infections and capsaicin provides pain relief, relieves congestion, and is anti-inflammatory.

Throw some ginger and horseradish in there, too, for the full blown homeopathic effect. Hope you're better soon, HHH.

One of my buddies was a judge at that competition as well, assuming you mean the Lincoln Square Winter Brew Comp. I would have been there too with some entries, but they were maxed out when we inquired. (Randy Mosher is in the back on the left)

I may be stalking Randy Mosher for competition prizes, but at least I'm not secretly photographing him ;)

Throw some ginger and horseradish in there, too, for the full blown homeopathic effect. Hope you're better soon, HHH.

Horseradish, I knew I was forgetting something. I am better right now, though I'm still a little stuffed up but honestly considering the wacky weather in NJ this week I'm surprised I'm not worse. THis past weekend it was bitterly cold (like in the teens which is bitterly cold for NJ) Yesterday and today its been in the 60s, and this weekend there's a chance of snow all weekend and the weather isn't supposed to touch the 40s.

I may be stalking Randy Mosher for competition prizes, but at least I'm not secretly photographing him ;)

Yeah, my buddy sent me the picture b/c he's in it and it was his first judging. Not sure if the addition of Mosher was intentional or incidental, but either way there he is.

Back