How long does your brew day take?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clt2DC

Reaction score
I just did my second all grain and it was right at 5 hours start to finish. I did it stove top style al a deathbrewer. What is the average?

Just wrapped up my AG brew day. Washed up the last bits and pieces at the 5 hour mark. 3.5 gallon brew outside on a turkey fryer.

Probably about 5 hours from the time I start heating up the strike water to soaking stuff in my keggle full of oxyclean. I don't really hurry through anything either and prep stuff the day before.

My record is 3.5 hours - 5 gallon, all grain with batch sparge. Tankless water heater really cuts down on my heating time. I also started sparging with 120F water to save some time.

6 hour day for me. That includes prep work. If I prep the night before (condition/mill/weighout grains etc) I count the time in my brewday. I can't brew without that stuff no matter when I do it. If I do a longer mash or am general just taking it easy and not trying to clean everything while the wort cools it can take longer..but it's a hobby for me. I never got the whole idea of rushing through a brewday, but then again, I don't get into the "how cheap can I make a beer" concept either...everyone's got their preferences. I prefer to not obsess about saving a few pennies or minutes in favor of just enjoying my brewday and drinking a few homebrews. YMMV.

5, occasionally 6 hours is about normal for my solo AG brews.

I did a 10 gallon extract batch teaching some friends to brew yesterday and it really expedited things. More hands to put to work on the variable time tasks like cleanup and weighing out ingredients.

I'm still shiny at this, so this weekend my brew day turned into brew two days.

not my first AG batch, but it was my first with my converted cooler MLT. had used a Zapap before.
also my first barley wine with a Irish red parti-gyle (first)

started heating strike water at 1:30pm, 2 hour boil for the BW + took an hour ½ to chill in the sink because my garden hose was frozen solid, so couldn't use me chiller. cleanup while I was waiting for that and ended up pitching at 10:30pm.

saved the IRA for today. that went a little better, but hose was still froze. started heating boil at 2:30pm and pitched at 5:30pm

Typically 5 hours start to finish (AG) I might vary a bit depending on a 60min vs. 90min boil, but 5 hours is usually what I end up with.

Between 5 & 6 hours on a 3bbl commercial setup. This includes grain setup before brewing instead of the night before.

I just did my second all grain and it was right at 5 hours start to finish. I did it stove top style al a deathbrewer. What is the average?

I do all grain on a 20 gallon setup and it takes me about 5 or 6 hours. I've become more efficient the more I do it but I'd say 4 to 5 hours is as low as you can get it

Same, 5 hours doing a Robust Porter, but taking my time and spending time roaming around at the Brew supply shop.

AG day as BIAB about 5 hrs depending upon brews drank. 5 gallon brew outside on a banjo burner but again today it was WINDY!!
PS - that high OG LHMS stout clone (3rd batch) makes a difference :)

Roughly four hours for a three gallon no sparge BIAB batch chilled with a plate chiller. Hour mash, hour boil.

BIAB 5 gallon

20 minutes to heat strike water, prep equipment in iodophore
60 minute mash prep/layout boil additions
10 minute mashout* (experimental, and didn't help my efficiency at all, still 75%)
90 minute boil, clean everything that needs cleaning and put away whatever is not being used.
5 minute drain and seal no chill
20 minute clean up rest of equip, document process

Next day, 30 seconds to open seal, pitch yeast/dry hop and place airlock.

Was 3 hours and 25 minutes for my last batch. Could drop my boil a bit (no DMS yet) and wont be mashing out next time, so really closer to 3 hours on the dot going forward...During the boil, everything else is cleaned and put away, so all I am cleaning at the end is the boil kettle, 3 piece valve, down spout and stir spoon.

I love to brew beer, but I don't see much sense in making it a whole day, even if I have the time.

I average 5 hours, but I'm in no rush when I'm brewing. If anything I am taking my time and enjoying it.

5-6.5 hours. More like 6-6.5 now than I use 2 pots for BIAB bigger batches than I was doing.2.5 gallons- I use to do 1.6 gallons with one pot to boil/mash besides sparging. I have to double boil,mash in two seperate pots,as well as sparge.Probably mash longer too now and boil longer because one gets a week boil so I alternate pots and rotate them. IM going to try to do 5 gallons by boiling 2 gallons with dme/hops for 10 min or so sometime too at end of my other boils and maybe cool that in my tub while my others cool in the double sink.

Im definatly not going to try and squeeze bottleing inbetween brewing anymore, Ill make that a seperate day for a few hours and also always crush my grain the day before brew day from now on. Took me almost 8hrs to do both last time,screw that again.

My fastest is juuuust shy of 3 hours from turning the tap on to get water, to walking away and everything cleaned. 5 gallon all grain, I just usually do 40 minute mashes and 40 minute boils.

Average though is just shy of 4 hours for the same.

Around 4.5 hours from taking it out to putting it away clean for my partial mash brewday. I could do it faster if I really wanted to, but I'm not in a rush.

Did my first AG today. 5gal, full boil. Took 6hrs. 1hr for mash. 1hr for fly sparge. 1hr for boil. And I guess 3hrs double and triple checking temps and measurements, sanitizing and cleaning.

So I just finished a long/split brewday. I mashed this morning and started the whole brewday at 9 getting water, weighing grains, milling them, heating strike water..all the regular stuff. I mashed in at 10 and was done at 11:30. Took a life break from then until 8:15pm and I got done at midnight. 90 mash, 90 boil, 6hrs. 15min.

I ran into some snafus here and there, but I tend to have those every brewday. Today's was the vinyl tube intake for my IC melted when it contacted the burner and I didn't notice it. I went to remove the fitting, and I'll tell ya, I hate that Oetiker dude. Those clamps are a ***** to remove!

Edit: I should probably point out that 20 minutes of that time was bringing the wort back up to boiling temps after letting it cool all day.

Shortest was probably around 4 hours, prep included. Stovepop BIAB.

Longest was probably over 8 hours... maaaan, that was a PITA brewday.

6 to 7 hours for an 11-gallon "biab". I usually undertake racking
the primary into 2 cornies to make room for the brew day brew.

6 hrs..keg 5.. Bottle 5.. Rack 10.. Brew 10.. Start to finish with help of my brewpal

image-1236206702.jpg

3.5-4 hours, batch sparging with a cooler MLT and cooling with an IC or CFC depending on ground water temps. That's assuming a 60 minute mash and 60 minute boil.

My first AG batch was 7 hours, but 2 hours of that was putting out the fire I had started on the stove top and getting production moved outside.

Expecting 5 hours for the next one.

Crush to fermenter... no shortcuts, ever. Depends on outdoor temperature for big batches. 90 min mash, 20 min recirculate, 15 min whirlpool, etc.

2 gallon batch - 4 hours
10 gallon batch - 6 hours
50 gallon batch (precrushed the night before...) - 7 hours.

LOL..I see the times are creeping into the 3 hour range at this point. LOL...do you guys do 30 minute mashes, no recirc/vourlauf, no sparge, 40 minute boils, no chill and clean as you go?

I bet your beer only costs .19/pint too?

LOL...just bustin' balls guys/gals. If you can brew that fast good on ya. So long as we're all brewing, that's all that matters!

Back