Is safale S04 a less aggressive yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
I pitched s04 for the first time on Friday. It's fermenting, but all I have is a thin layer of bubble popping krausen. I'm more accustomed to the thick trying to crawl out the airlock fermentation.

Aggressive compared to what? Right???

As apposed to WLP565 Saison yeast (that's the last yeast I pitched befor ethis batch)

The US-04 is a high flocculation yeast that's supposedly known for fast fermentations. The US-05 is low to medium flocculation with clean flavors. The 04 should be better by defenition at midwest site.

Krausen doesn't always tell the whole story. S-04 is a pretty quick fermenting yeast, usually completing a 1.050 batch in about 4 days.

My experience is it is quick...but no, it doesn't always go crazy or produce a lot of Krausen. It can be visually anti-climactic, but makes good beer! I use S-04 and S-05 almost exclusively.

It's quicker and a little quieter than the 05, I found at an ambient of 63/64F. Tastes beautiful right off the bat!

s04 was a beast on my ~1.070 OG IPA. It fermented very quickly at 68*, around 4 days, and it stopped at around 1.020. The krausen was huge and I almost needed a blow off tube.

I pitched s04 for the first time on Friday. It's fermenting, but all I have is a thin layer of bubble popping krausen. I'm more accustomed to the thick trying to crawl out the airlock fermentation.

Every fermentation is different. Krauzen action can go any number of ways. I've had fermentations with s-04 where I too was a little perturbed by the seeming lack of dynamics and others where I was hoping the volcanic eruption would soon subside:rockin:

It's all good:tank::ban:

in my experience S-04 doesn't create a lot of krausen but it seems to finish pretty fast

Back