How "fine" should I crush grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samreese

Reaction score
I use a Barley Crusher grain mill and set the roller gap to 0.35 inch for crushing base malts. Is this a "normal" crush?

I have been getting good efficiencies of about 80+%

Does anyone know what the factory default gap setting is?

You're getting good efficiency, I'd leave it alone...but also check regularly. Different brands/types of grain can have slightly different kernel sizes, especially specialty malts, wheat, etc. Get to know what your crush should look like and monitor it.

I just skip the whole crushing thing and brew with flour and rice hulls.

I just skip the whole crushing thing and brew with flour and rice hulls.

I seriously wonder if anyone's ever done this...or some sort of filter like for coffee presses or a paper filter. Someone has to have tried it, right?

The "fineness" of the crush will effect sparging or lautering, it won't effect conversion so long as the kernels are broken and gelatinization temps are reached. The optimal crush for sparging or lautering on your system depends upon your system. In general, a coarser crush will drain better than a finer. Beyond that, you'll have to go by experience with your system and process.

I seriously wonder if anyone's ever done this...or some sort of filter like for coffee presses or a paper filter. Someone has to have tried it, right?

Just an anecdote but I remember reading on this forum somewhere there are breweries that do this. Wish I could remember where I found this bit of trivia.

Where's the beef? :D

Back