SCOBY Damaged by Air Purifiers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseTolz

Reaction score
Will any air filters or purifiers damage/kill my SCOBY?

-HEPA
-Ionizer
-Ultra Violet
-Carbon Filter
-Ozone Generator
-Purifying Hydroxyl Radicals

Any assistance with this would be amazing.
Thanks in advance!

These filters & purifiers may kill what's in the air that passes over them (through your air handler) but they don't spew scoby-kill gasses into your residential air. So unless your air handler is strong enough to suck your scoby from its fermentation jar I think you're OK ;)

These filters & purifiers may kill what's in the air that passes over them (through your air handler) but they don't spew scoby-kill gasses into your residential air. So unless your air handler is strong enough to suck your scoby from its fermentation jar I think you're OK ;)

Yes, but "hydroxyl radicals destroy microrganisms in the air by cutting holes in their cell walls." Purifiers that produce these might not be wise to use for SCOBY environs... guess I'll stick to the HEPA filter. Thanks.

Yes, but "hydroxyl radicals destroy microrganisms in the air by cutting holes in their cell walls." Purifiers that produce these might not be wise to use for SCOBY environs... guess I'll stick to the HEPA filter. Thanks.

Luckily, I think the majority of those claims are bogus, so there is not likely to be much danger. If these radicals were really zapping bacteria in the air, think of the havoc they'd be reaping on our bodies!

Luckily, I think the majority of those claims are bogus, so there is not likely to be much danger.
True. In fact if there is not vigorous air flow through the room, your ionizer is not doing much to clean much air either! Ionizers and ultraviolet lamps only have anti-bacterial properties immediately near the source. Ionizer/fan and ultraviolet/fan combinations are the ONLY means of purifying the air throughout the room. Which actually would help keep your SCOBY from being infected. Also the amount of sugar in kombucha also actually kills bacteria! Most bacteria will OD on Kombucha sugar, which is good because you want only the right bacteria that work in conjunction with yeast to thrive.

Back