What beer kicked your a$$ lately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehause

Reaction score
We all have those nights when they just go down REALLY easy, but the next day you realize you should have stopped WAY sooner......so......What beer kicked your A$$ lately?:tank:

Right now(and I mean right now), mine's Victory Golden Monkey.

That was my first AG after 10 years of extract brewing. I can't drink more than 3 or 4 of them and still function as a normal human being.:ban:

I have a Belgian Tripel that is so smooth even though it is almost 10% . I ha d few of those last week and the next day I was at half speed. They sure tasted great and went down easy.

Drank more than my share of Sam Adams Latitude 48 down at the local bar recently. When I woke up the next day I felt like someone parked a car on my head.

Avery Brewing's Maharaja...one went down too smooth & I lost count. Next thing I knew, I was in the parking lot betting passing ladies on how many pushups I can do. I ran into the door casing coming into my house, hit a wall in the bathroom for no apparent reason, & woke up with a black eye & busted knuckles.
Now in my younger years, this would have been business as usual, but I'm nearing 40 so...this is QUITE out of character for me.
What valuable lesson did I learn? I learned that it's possible to brew a beer that tastes so good that an empty glass is unacceptable even to someone who considers himself full of self-control. I decided the next morning to brew beer.
That was 1 month ago & my Maharaja Clone has been sitting in my shiny glass carboy at 66 degrees for 5 days.
I also learned that 22 ounces is my maximum per 24 hour period.

Avery Brewing's Maharaja...one went down too smooth & I lost count. Next thing I knew, I was in the parking lot betting passing ladies on how many pushups I can do. I ran into the door casing coming into my house, hit a wall in the bathroom for no apparent reason, & woke up with a black eye & busted knuckles.
Now in my younger years, this would have been business as usual, but I'm nearing 40 so...this is QUITE out of character for me.
What valuable lesson did I learn? I learned that it's possible to brew a beer that tastes so good that an empty glass is unacceptable even to someone who considers himself full of self-control. I decided the next morning to brew beer.
That was 1 month ago & my Maharaja Clone has been sitting in my shiny glass carboy at 66 degrees for 5 days.
I also learned that 22 ounces is my maximum per 24 hour period.

Well now there's a silver lining!:mug:

Resin from Sixpoint. The cans seem smaller, 4 cans later, almost knocked my self out forgetting to duck going into the basement.

I bought a couple of DFH 120 Minute a few weeks ago. I never had it before and didn't have any idea what the ABV was.

Well, I pour myself a glass after work and begin to enjoy. I thought it tasted quite boozy so I decide to check out the DFH website. There is a video on there where the brewer pours out a bottle into a glass. Then says NOT to do this. It is supposed to be poured into snifters and enjoyed 3 or 4 ounces at a time with friends.

Meanwhile, I am 3/4 of the way through my glass in about 10 minutes when I see the ABV is 18+%.

That certainly put a dent in my plans that evening.

My homebrewed Tripel clocks in at 9%, and at 15 IBU's, it goes down extremely easily. 3 of those takes a night to a whole new level!

I brew up a modified Three Floyds Dreadnaught clone that comes in around 8-9% depending on the batch. My keezer is 4 feet from my desk. Nough said.

Jefferson Bourbon Barrel Ale it's brewed in Lexington KY and I drank 5 one night and was hammered it's 8.3% ABV but it drinks like a lite beer

I recently did a tripel that finished at about 10.21% and it has been picking up the slack to say the least. I might have to make a lighter version just because it's so tasty.

Enjoying a double Ipa that clocked in at 9.6abv...about 2 pounds of hops for a 15 gallon batch...love whirlpooling!!

I have a 13% Braggot ON TAP. Yesterday, I had 1 Bell's 2 Hearted and I wanted to see how the Braggot was aging so I poured a Euro 0.2L glass. The wife says "I am read to go, hurry up and finish that or we will be late." when I was just less than 1/2 way through the glass. Long story short, she drove I had a nap and woke up as we were arriving at our destination an hour later... I REALLY need to get that stuff into small bottles and off the tap...

Yellow Wolf IIPA from Alameada Brewing, and The Kaiser from Avery have done me in.

I made an IPA a year ago that put everyone over the line. I was spinning and puked after 3, friend past out face first in the floor while skyping, etc. Black out in a bottle. It was only a 7.6% but everyone who tried drinking more than 3 just got wasted. Still confused about that one.

I recently reviewed a Faxe 10% Extra Strong beer. You can read the review on my facebook beer page. It was putrid in all aspects. Never again!

We all have those night when they just go down REALLY easy, but the next day you realize you should have stopped WAY sooner......so......What beer kicked your A$$ lately?:tank:

Right now(and I mean right now), mine's Victory Golden Monkey.

Ohhhhh How I love the Monkey!!! I have a killer clone recipe I made for that beer. I have brewed it several times! Every time it gets better and better!
Cheers
Jay

the wit i brewed a while ago goes down far too easy. after drinking them all afternoon i fell asleep at like 8pm and felt like death the next day

does this count? yesterday gf opened a nanny state 'imperial mild' (brewdog, 1% abv) and couldn't face the hop imbalance (good idea but a load of bittering hops with no malt body to balance it? even the delicious amarillo dry hop couldn't save that) so i had to drink it, which made me crave ethanol to the extent that i, exactly like krazyman above, enthusiastically overindulged in homemade witbier

I made an IPA a year ago that put everyone over the line. I was spinning and puked after 3, friend past out face first in the floor while skyping, etc. Black out in a bottle. It was only a 7.6% but everyone who tried drinking more than 3 just got wasted. Still confused about that one.

We want your recipe !!! LOL

:mug:

Dark Horse Crooked Tree ipa. Every spring & fall I go camping up on lake Superior. Couple of the dudes that have gone work at Dark Horse. Even if they don't go, dude that owns the property lives by Dark Horse & they hook him up.

Anywhoo always a couple kegs of Crooked Tree, the first morning is always shocking.

Avery's Mephistopheles. At over 15%, I gave it the respect it deserves and did not go overboard, it would be so easy to as the alcohol is well hidden. This was after hitting some Southern Tier Unearthley IIPA at 11%.

Ohhhhh How I love the Monkey!!! I have a killer clone recipe I made for that beer. I have brewed it several times! Every time it gets better and better!
Cheers
Jay

I'll have to agree with Jay here... That I can recall, golden monkey was the last one to put me over the top. Granted I was out drinking for a few hours prior, but coming home and having 2-3 ish more was definitely a mistake.

I know I had at least one, but I think it was more. Either way, it's a good thing I woke up outside (don't know how i got there) because the result was projectile until my stomach was purged. Then I switched back to something a little lighter.

My Bourbon County clone...opened one, went down so smooth, had to have another. Think i opened one more but am not sure....dont remember passing out but woke up at 10am the next day and according to my fiance had a "wtf" look on my face. So yea...limit is 1 per night of that stuff now.

Popped the cap on a bottle of my couple-year-old Belgian Golden Strong this weekend. Didn't come out as planned. Was a bit more like a light barleywine than a BGS.

Somewhat heavy, fairly sweet (was super hpped to start due to forgetting I was brewing a half-batch), and smooth.

About half way through I started getting the happies... Good timing as I just found our washer was broken and I could foresee my brewday being shot to hell.

Every home brew I've made so far will kick my a$$ if I'm not careful! 6-8% abv beer that goes down like iced tea will catch up to you really quick!

Back