Rootbeer beginners.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeEight292

Reaction score
My husband I have started home brewing root beer, using extracts and both yeasts and carbonated water. We are still tweaking the flavors to our satisfaction but have come to nearly a perfect flavor.

But we now want to branch out in flavors and try new and different extracts to make different root beers.

Question now would be does anyone know of how to make a pumpkin pie spice extract it perhaps where to get one?

There are a variety of ways to do this using the spices themselves.

One option is to steep the spices and use the steeping water as part of your water for the recipe.

Pros: Easy, heat sanitizes the spices, you can add a portion to the batch and taste then add more if you wish.

Cons: Heat will drive off some of the delicate flavors/aromas of the spices. Adds a step

Second option: Add the ground spices right to the recipe.

Pros: easy, retains all of the spice character

Cons: Spice character will take time to develop, so less control. Spice "sludge" in bottom of bottles/keg.

Third option: Make a tincture of the spices in a neutral spirit (grain alcohol, vodka) and add to the batch to taste.

Pros/cons similar to steeping except you have added alcohol (trivial) and cost/steps

Others may chime in with different suggestions. I am not sure I would pick any one of the three as a strong front runner. As a home brewer, I am a fan of adding freshly ground spices right to the batch, but you have to live with the results and tweak future batches. Also, I am not sure you would be able to taste the subtleties of using the best spices in the most careful way through the flavor hammer that is root beer.

Hope this helps.

Adam

Can you add spices in say a tea bag and let it soak for flavor.
And then remove the bag for no floaties or deposits?

We were thinking of the tincture method, finding the right alcohol for it is the first step. We've heard absolut vodka is best for tincture making, now it's what to use (whole spices or ground) and weather cheese cloth is ideal for creation. If you have made some similar style root beers your experiences are welcome!?

Back