Shiner Seasonals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
If anybody can get ahold of Spoetzel Brewerie's Shiner Dunkelweizen or Shiner '96, do yourself a favor and give them a swig. the '96 is a Marzen, and from what i've been told, it tastes like the Shiner Bock did whenit used to be seasonal. the '96 is pretty damn good. the Dunkelweizen used to be called the Winter Ale. tasty too!
don't let the '96 label fool you. Texas alcohol laws are goofy, so it says it's a marzen style "ale". but, it's a lager! :p

www.shiner.com

ive been contemmplating buying that 96 for like a month and a half. having grown up in Texas ive drank way too much shiner, but i stll love the stuff nonetheless. guess i'll have to go buy it, hopefully its still in the store here. thanks for coercing me into supporting spoetzl.

where in Texas did you grow up? and where do you live now, because i can't find it locally yet. i just happen to come across it in the hill country a few weeks ago. good stuff.

i grew up in austin,TX and other areas around the hill country, but live in durango, Colorado now. luckily Shiner distributes up here- when i get homesick i get a sixer and crack open a shiner.

cool. do you know lake city? my ex's aunt and uncle own a resort and jeep rental there. used to go in the summer time. loved it!

My folks are coming up from Austin over Christmas. I was going to have them bring me a sixer of St. Arnold's Christmas Ale, if they can get it there. Maybe I'll have them pick me up some of that Shiner Dunkelweizen and '96! ;) :cool:

they should have no problem getting St. Arnold's Christmas Ale. St. A's just came out with Divine Reserve barleywine. they only made 365 some-odd cases. tough to find.
the '96 will be available until 12/31, so they should be able to get that too.

tell them to bring you some Real Ale Pale Moon Rye Ale and Brewhouse Brown Ale! you'll love them for it......

El Pistolero said:
Are you finding all this stuff at Specs? :confused:
well, Spec's in Beaumont doesn't carry Real Ale, don't know about Houston Spec's? if and when i can find Real Ale, it's at Central Market. my wife went a few weekends ago and all they had was 2 sixers of Rio Blanco Pale Ale. so she snagged 'em for me. beggars can't be choosers right?
the Ginger Man has 3 or 4 Real Ale's on tap. one's the kick-ass seasonl Shade Grown Coffee Porter.....mmmmmm....... :drunk:

DeRoux's Broux said:
kick-ass seasonl Shade Grown Coffee Porter
Sounds like I'm gonna have to hit the Ginger Man.

A bit off topic, but it sure would be nice to have some "season" to go with all these seasonal beers...it's just hard to get in the spirit when's it's still 90 out. I'm going wade fishing tomorrow and it's a toss up whether to wade wet or not...in the middle of November. :mad:

El Pistolero said:
Sounds like I'm gonna have to hit the Ginger Man.

A bit off topic, but it sure would be nice to have some "season" to go with all these seasonal beers...it's just hard to get in the spirit when's it's still 90 out. I'm going wade fishing tomorrow and it's a toss up whether to wade wet or not...in the middle of November. :mad:
i know, it sucks! it's so damn humid and hot, it feels like may. that's why i'm rethinking my next brew. maybe an IPA.....
were do you fish? Galveston Bay?

DeRoux's Broux said:
were do you fish? Galveston Bay?
Mostly GB, but I've been to Sabine a lot, and one of my best days ever was at Calcasiu. Wading the north shore of Trinity Bay tomorrow. :cool:

El Pistolero said:
Mostly GB, but I've been to Sabine a lot, and one of my best days ever was at Calcasiu. Wading the north shore of Trinity Bay tomorrow. :cool:
dude, sabine lake is my back yard practicaly. that's where i grew up fisihing, or wade fishing at Crystal Beach.

i think texas breweries, for thier winter seasonal, should make what would normally be a summer seasonal. but then what do you do in the summer? by the way, lake citys awesome, i go four wheeling and trout fishing by there all the time. the towns ecspecially cool in the winter though when theres a total of like 7 people in the town. im going on a hut skiing trip by there this winter, and were hoping to get a system set up to keg by then so we can have the dogs pull a 5 gallon, otherwise we'll have to stick to bourbon.

DeRoux's Broux said:
dude, sabine lake is my back yard practicaly.
I really envy you that...I'll have to leave the house at 4am to be ready to launch at 5:30. :( But, standing in the water watching the sun come up while fighting a trout makes it worth it. :)

Pleasant View resort is their place. Jim and Juanel Skinner. great people, ***** for a neice!
i'm sure it's a ghost town, from what they always said. Poker Alice's pizzais pretty damn good too! Lake San Cristobal isbeautiful too. i do miss going there....

El P, did you that the average depth of sabine is like 4 foot? we used to fish off the wall by the boat club and watch people wind surf. they'd fall of the board and be standing in waist deep water. looked funny. should be nice fishing this weekend w/ the dry front coming in.

I agree on the Shiner winter seasonals this year. I picked up some of the Dunkelweizen last week and the 96 this week. Around here (Dallas area) both can be found at my local grocery store.

The Dunkelweizen took a couple tries before it grew on me, but by the time I finished the 6-pack I was craving more. The 96 seemed a bit weak to me for an Oktoberfest/Marzen, but a very tasty brew nonetheless. I'll definitely be buying more of both this season.

Rhoobarb said:
My folks are coming up from Austin over Christmas. I was going to have them bring me a sixer of St. Arnold's Christmas Ale, if they can get it there. Maybe I'll have them pick me up some of that Shiner Dunkelweizen and '96! ;) :cool:

Roob: Have I got a (possible) deal for you...last time I knew I am supposed to go to Ft Hood (Killeen) right after Turkey Day for 2 weeks. I'll pick some up for you (since I'm driving) IF I go and IF I can find it. :D

I'll be taking my wife down to San Antonio anyway for the river walk and the Alamo. If memory serves me correctly I'll be going right through Austin. Besides, there a re plenty of beer stores along the way. I remember stopping at a German restaurant somewhere in between.

Back