Angle Grinder + Finger = stitches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
This is why you wear leather gloves while using your angle grinder. I had just cut the tops off 2 kegs and was grindering off some burs on the inside where I drilled the hole for the ball valve when I did this.

showphoto.php

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
I know they dont look too bad but when I hit my finger the cutting wheel that was on the grinder was red hot, so it charred the skin as it went in but then cooled down quickly and ripped the skin out. Went right down to the bone of m knuckle and removed a small amount and left some bits of metal and grinder blade in its place. Wouldnt of even needed teh stitches but the skin wasnt there to close the wound. All fun. 2 stiches and an extremely sore finger. Lesson learned. And all ballvalves are now installed.!!

Glad that it wasn't any worse. Yeah leather gloves is a must for grinding, just for that 1 in 100 chance that you do slip. Hope that heals up fine, and hopefully it wasn't you beer drinking hand :mug:

Hope you got all the bits and crap out. Gloves and glasses, so, so important.

amazingly I remembered the glasses. Yeah the doctor had to pick some of the bits out.

Dang dude that's rough. Like others have said, glad you got all the bits n pieces out. Also good stuff that you remembered the glasses.

Glad you didnt lose a finger! I just finished up building a smoker, and anytime we were using power tools/welding we always wore gloves and eye protection. Luckily neither one of use got hurt during the project.

Smoker4.jpg

Ouch! If you turn that cut 90 degrees, I did the exact same thing. The cutting wheel went RIGHT through the leather glove and down to the bone. I cleaned it out and kept fresh butterfly strips on it as well as dumping hydrogen peroxide on it every day to keep it clean. I would have gone to the hospital to get stitches by it was 11:30pm on a Saturday night. My wife was in Portland and I had two sleeping kids. I came inches from passing out multiple times as I cleaned it out that night.

This was a few weeks after the incident.

untitled.jpg

Ha! I am not the only idiot in the keggle cutting club. I did this about six months ago. Cut half way through my finger tip. I cleaned off my finger and taped it back together. I did not go for stitches. My though was that there was nothing to stitch since a chunk of my finger was just "gone" lol

I did the same thing to my finger, (looked identical) right before a weekend scuba trip. Man was I mad at myself. I used superglue and waterproof band aids to get through the dives. The bad thing is it will be tender any time you bump it for a good long time. So you stitched yourself up like Rambo?

Years ago I had an angle grinder kick out of a piece of steel and bounce off my shin....angle grinder won, I went home with 20 stitches in a nice arc across my shin...not fun.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Home Brew Talk

Ouch! If you turn that cut 90 degrees, I did the exact same thing. The cutting wheel went RIGHT through the leather glove and down to the bone. I cleaned it out and kept fresh butterfly strips on it as well as dumping hydrogen peroxide on it every day to keep it clean. I would have gone to the hospital to get stitches by it was 11:30pm on a Saturday night. My wife was in Portland and I had two sleeping kids. I came inches from passing out multiple times as I cleaned it out that night.

This was a few weeks after the incident.

untitled.jpg

That's admirable you toughed it out. Cheers!

I just did this the other day, I was using a grinder with a grinding wheel. I was wearing gloves and it went through the glove slightly and hit my index finger. Didn’t notice at first but then I felt it bleeding so I looked and i could just barely see the bone. Didn’t get stitches because it wasn’t that big of an area but was definitely very sore and still is.

Back