want to use beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solusveritas

Reaction score
i want to make a lower alchohol mead that is ready to drink faster than average. could i use beer yeast for this? if so, what kind would be good to use? thanks

You will still get higher attenuation than with beer but having said that I suggest Wyeast 1968 (very flocculant and will fall out of solution near the end of the ferment). I use this to make a cider with some residual sweetness.

On the other hand if what you want is a "dry" but lower alc mead then just use less honey and more water and pitch EC-1118 (champagne yeast)

I've used Wyeast 1056 (american ale) on some 8-9% meads, and gotten a nice fruity compliment to the honey flavor with it. I fermented it a little warmer than normal, about 72 degrees to bring out the fruit esters

Great thanks. Unfortunately my local homebrew shop doesn't carry Wyeast, so I'm going to have to wait on shipping times to try it.

White Labs will work as well, but you certainly can try it with a dry yeast. It might be a good idea to get it going in a starter first, a honey starter, not DME

White Labs will work as well, but you certainly can try it with a dry yeast. It might be a good idea to get it going in a starter first, a honey starter, not DME

+1 WhiteLabs 001 is the same yeast strain as 1056. Starters are good...for liquid yeast! Dry yeast does not need a starter...if you want to increase cell counts to an appropriate pitch rate, pitch more packets

I make a very light knock you on your arse mead that is quick to drink with champagne yeast-work EVERY time :} thats what i used the 2nd time i made mead-HATED the first one-was thick like maple syrup! I had some champagne yeast and WOW!!!!! I made 2 batches for my sisters Nordic wedding-a straight mread and a melomel {sp}{sorry DRINKING!!} made em 2 weeks before the wedding and had one SNOB tell me they were the best he ahd tasted!!! I can't get the Funky yeasts here-yet-we(hubby works at a univ in bio with 3 HB!!!) they are culturing as you read this!!! WHOOT WHOOT!!!!

MNBlonde :}

I'm just getting started out with mead (raise our own bees so we have a lot of honey, though). I chucked together a batch on a whim using some sour cherry juice. I boiled the cherries and then melted the raw somewhat crystalized honey into them and then added the water, heated it to a sterile point, and strained. I then reconstituted a packet of dry beer yeast and chucked it in. The airlock is bubbling nicely.

I'm wondering how long this will take with the beer yeast? When should I move it over to a secondary?

I'm going to start a batch with some 'quicker' champagne yeasts (as well as a slower one with the wyeast sweet mead). Any idea of the timing on these either. Just trying to get a feel as I jump into this.

Back