Apfelwein: To carbonate or not to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I carbonate my Apfelwein?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

aMillionDreams

Reaction score
I noticed many of you are brewing or have brewed EdWort's Apfelwien. The recipe says you can carbonate. But wine is not carbonated as far as I know. What do you all do/suggest?

It's not really a wine in my opinion. Have you tried searching this? This topic has been brought up numerous times. Either way... I carbonate mine. It tastes more like an apple champagne than wine though.

Having done 50-50 carbed and uncarbed, I have found that most of friends and myself prefer it carbed. It is like "apple champagne." This years batch I carbed the entire 5 gallons. I give a bunch as gifts for x-mas.

Thanks for the input. ONe more question about Aplewein: How should I age it? Rack it to secondary? If so, how long in fermenter? How long in secondary? How long in the bottles? Okay, so that more than one question. :p

I primary for 4 - 6 months. Yes, I said 4 - 6 MONTHS.

Keg, and I'm lucky if half the keg makes it to carbed status. That's why I just started 10 gallons! I do prefer the carbed style. I feel there is more flavor and I tend to sip rather than gulp thanks to those tiny bubbles.

Yeah, that is pretty extreme though. I've had it younger than that, sometimes after a couple of weeks it's carbonated and OK, but I think it's better to age for longer.
I have a good pipeline though, I have over 40 gallons of beer and cider just ageing away. The ones I left for 12 months were flavoured and had secondaried a while so took forever to carb up.

Personally, I don't like the apfelwein talked about on these forums unless it's aged for 6+ months. I've only made one batch of it and that was over a year ago. I still have bottles laying around because they don't get drank. I'm a beer guy. I let mine sit in primary for 8 weeks then bottled it.

Latest posts

Back