Corny Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
Any real big difference between the actual Corny and the other manufacturers out there like Firestone and what not? Are the ball lock plugs threaded differently?

Not that I've found - I have several brands of ball locks - not just the Corneleus Keg of Spartanburg, SC variety. They all swap out parts relatively fine. I have to keep two sizes of sockets available, though. I do have a couple of dip tubes that seem to be picky - they only want to go into the keg they came out of.

"Corny" is like the Kleenex of the keg world. Yes, there is a company called Cornelius that produces the kegs, but we call them all Corny kegs.

And there are slight variations between kegs. Posts, poppets, etc.

I find a wide variation. This really chaps my ass which I why I have started buying only one kind of keg. That way I don't have to keep each post lined up and marked and be careful not to mix up pieces. The firestones or whatever are the worst. They have nylon spacer and weird seals and are a general pain in the butt. William's brewing has what I belive to be the right replacement spacer, I will be ordering some soon then selling that keg.

To muck matters up more and not thread steal here, can a Coke Pin lock keg be converted to Pepsi Ball locks with just replacing the connectors? If not is an adaptor or a special Ball Lock available to replace these Pin Locks?

I know the price of two Ball Locks (gas in, liquid out) will cost as much as the Coke corny keg is worth, i'm thinking a trade for a Ball Lock with someone that has a Pin Lock system in the San Francisco bay area if possible?
Almost sounds like a "trade or sale" section item.

I need ball lock poppet valves for gas in liquid out if they make them for a Coke corny to match my Pepsi ball lock system if I can just change out those Pin Lock valves. This or trade off this Coke corny for a Pepsi corny for a complete ball lock corny keg collection.

Around 10-11 years ago I paid $5 a corny without receipt to avoid taxes and paperwork at a big salvage yard that had over 200 of them. Gas turbine generators, fork lifts, electric motors, giant Hobart mixers you name it they had it. I picked up 25 corny's, kept 10 plus gave the rest to my brewing friends. The best price these days was thru Matt at CHI while on sale hence back up to 24 ball locks with still this one Coke Pin Lock. It needs a trade for a corny ball lock besides the Coke corny will not fit inside my single Corny manufactured refrigerator with tap on the door. That Coke corny's slightly larger in diameter hence will not fit besides those Pin Locks when I have a all ball lock system.

There is a guy here in KY (near Lexington, about 45 minutes away) that sells new and reconditioned food grade containers As seen on Craig's List

$20.00 each, 6 for $100.00. Just picked up six (5 Challenger VI's and one Corny) WHAT a great deal!!! All in great shape too and legally from Pepsi.

Great price on those 6 packs of corny's, one problem i'm 9 miles from the left coast I bet shipping would cost more than the corny's price.
Great for you right coast people..
I just saw one HBS company on the net they're asking $42 a corny reconditioned. The stick it to 'em has started is how I see it.

Great price on those 6 packs of corny's, one problem i'm 9 miles from the left coast I bet shipping would cost more than the corny's price.
Great for you right coast people..
I just saw one HBS company on the net they're asking $42 a corny reconditioned. The stick it to 'em has started is how I see it but then they are in the business to make money, just not mine.

Back