Presanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I was about out of sanitizer on brew day (2 weeks ago). I elected to sanitize my secondary and relevant equipment then. Everything has been sealed in vacuum sealed bags (carboy top sealed and rubber banded). I guess I'm asking if this is an acceptable practice or should I wait to resanitize everything before transferring to my secondary?
Thanks

Those no-rinse sanitizers are "wet contact" sanitizers which means that they are sanitizing as long as the sanitizer isn't dry. I sanitize just before using my stuff.

I guess it would be ok, since there is no easy way for wild yeast and bacteria to invade, but I wouldn't trust it.

from what I understand star-San leaves behind a layer that keeps sanitizing untill use. I've read on these forums before of guys doing this regularly with no problems using star-San. What sanitizer did you use?

If it's sterilized and sealed, it will stay sterilized. No bacteria in there to grow.

I'm not at all sure if the same can be said about sanitized and sealed. That means very low levels of bacteria, which could reproduce. Realistically, if the item is clean, there's nothing for the bacteria to feed on, and they are likely dormant.

So, IMO (and I'm a noob), it's probably OK, but not ideal. Just get a lot of sanitizer and keep it on hand. If you don't, what do you do when you drop your siphon on the floor right before you want to use it? A spray bottle of StarSan is cheap insurance.

Back