Sierra Nevada Harvest to be bottled!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
It's going to be bottled in 24oz bottles starting sometime in Sept or October. So far it's only been on tap.....I've only had it once.

Can't wait for the bottling!

harvest.jpg

I spoke with a local sales rep for SN and he anticipates it being on the shelves by Oct 1. He also said it is a very limited bottling.

He says the hops are used 24 hrs after harvesting.....

Really? I picked this up last Friday at the AJ's by my house. Great stuff!

Doh, I take that back, it was the Anniversary Ale I had. Sorry!

I nearly forgot to post that I had the Harvest and Anniversary ales last week.

The harvest was on tap and very interesting....herbal and extremely perfumey
Anniversary was decent, lots of cascade bite but I would have liked a touch more malt in the flavor.

So anyone else have comments about this beer. I picked one up today. I feel very lucky to be able to get it here and I have never had fresh hop beer.

It is pretty good, not as much aroma/flavor as I was expecting, but what is there is very complex. I was surprised to see that it is only Centennial and Cascade. I do not get the very intense citrus as you would expect.

I enjoyed this beer. There was some nice upfront bitterness with none on the back end. Very smooth aftertaste. I am keeping my eye out for this in the bottle

Beerrific said:
It is pretty good, not as much aroma/flavor as I was expecting, but what is there is very complex. I was surprised to see that it is only Centennial and Cascade. I do not get the very intense citrus as you would expect.

I was planning on picking up a single to see how the bottled version compares to the draught version...

I've had no luck finding this in the Chicago area. Anyone know if its available in IL? We get the Celebration, Summer, Bigfoot, Anniversary, etc. so figured this wouldn't be too hard to find.

I'll be in Cleveland next weekend and set aside some $ to buy some stuff I can't get in IL. Anyone know if this is easily found in the Cleveland area?

jvh261 said:
I've had no luck finding this in the Chicago area. Anyone know if its available in IL? We get the Celebration, Summer, Bigfoot, Anniversary, etc. so figured this wouldn't be too hard to find.

I'll be in Cleveland next weekend and set aside some $ to buy some stuff I can't get in IL. Anyone know if this is easily found in the Cleveland area?

I'll check Binny's in Schaumburg tonight and let you know. Likewise, if you find it, share the wealth.

We have some at my shop. I know I live in VA, but as I've done a couple times with ohiobrewtus, it's always cool to just include it in a beerswap...and I'm usually game.

Cheesefood said:
I'll check Binny's in Schaumburg tonight and let you know. Likewise, if you find it, share the wealth.

Cool. If they have it I can swing by there tomorrow. I have to go to Rockford tonight and figure I may as well pop into Woodman's if I have time and see what they have. I've been pleasantly surprised there before. I went to Sal's in Addison today and settled on another sixer of Two Bros. Heavy Handed (willamette lot) to share with my dad over MNF tonight along with a few homebrews i'm bringing along.

If I find any SNHA I'll pick up a few extras to pass along as well.

Evan! said:
We have some at my shop. I know I live in VA, but as I've done a couple times with ohiobrewtus, it's always cool to just include it in a beerswap...and I'm usually game.

Thanks. If I come back from OH emptyhanded next week I'd like to take you up on that. Happy to send your way whatever I can.

A friend of mine found this stuff at a liquor store where we live. I had a taste of his and damn that stuff was pretty good. looks like im going to need to make a trip to the store and buy some for myself.

last weekend's haul from Cleveland, including some SN Harvest was fruitful...and this was just the stuff that made it home.
1879457884_b17f40e4a9.jpg

Had some last week in CA when I was back for work. Luckily, I'll be back again on Tuesday! Like the earlier poster said, not as much hops aroma as I expected (Goose Island Harvest was my comparison), but the complexity of the taste was interesting. I was excited to have my first "wet hops" brew after reading about it in the Brewing Times. I wonder if Harvest Ale (GI) is wet hops or not. Was at the Clyborne bar last night and finished the last keg of the year! Boy, was SWMBO mad when she arrived after shopping on Halsted and they didn't have any left!

I picked up a bottle on friday with some of the Double Bastard that was just released. I'll give my remarks in a few days.

I had mine last night. What a fantastic beer! It pours a copper color and was crystal clear. Nose is full of hop aroma. The flavor is of a nice balanced IPA. Plenty of bitterness, flavor and aroma, but still has the malt to back it up. Like the SNPA, it's fairly dry, but the malt is evident and the bittering is smooth. I'm going to try to find some more! :mug:

I picked up a pair of 22oz Bombers last night. Holy Cow!! i am going to open the Papazian to the blank judging page, this brew rings true and tasty on a lot of different levels. Hops amd malt, Jeez Louise this is good.

I am not a trained beer judge. When it comes to beer and pr0n and food I do know what I like. I have my copy of the Papazian open to the blank form:

Bottle: Nice fat amber, 2007 vintage is a good sign,. Excellent pffftwhen uncapped.

Bouquet/ Aroma: Not just inviting, alluring without being overpowering. At first when I started brewing I was a hop head, but it was so easy to over bitter and just generally get carried away. This SN Harvest has a better aroma than I have ever imagined a beer having. I am giving it a 9:10 just in hopes I might find something better, one time, before I die.

Appearance: Color about the same as EdWorts PM version Haus Pale. Very clear, must have been filtered. I did leave the dregs in the bottle because I am so used to good beer being bottle conditioned. Scads of tiny bubbles, mildly off white head lasted to bottom of glass, one of the four or five best glass lacers I have ever poured - but only had a couple Belgians.6:10.

Flavor: Malt - sweet but not cloying. Hops - freshly harvested wet hops. i bet this is a love it or hate thing. I love it, deep, complex hop flavor in under 60 IBUs, awesome. Conditioning excellent. If I could make beer this good I would not be hanging out on HBT. Aftertaste - bitter but smooth balance - superb -> did you ever run all of the hops in your wort strainer through a lime juicer, mix in a little honey and savor those hops squeezings? If you did and liked it you are going to love this stuff. Other flavor characteristics: My weakest area as a critic, just going down the list, no, alcohol warmth yes, no, bitter see above, good body. Less body than Smithwicks, but plenty of body all the same. no, no, Clean I guess, I taste lots of hop nuance, no, no, no, estery I think not, no, no, Hoppy hell YES!!, no, no, no, a little bit sweet, not at all yeasty. I am going 15:19. I can't imagine anything better for a special ale. To hoppy to be a session beer, but this is by Jehoshaphat great stuff. If you never thought to squeeze your hops and make a tea you may not care for this at all.

body: This is awesome mouth feel. Bubbles are tiny and stick around. Almost as much feel as Smithwick's. This beer has everything going on.5:10

Overall 10:10. Does anyone know where my socks went?

So 45/50. Interested to hear what a non-hop head thinks, and I would love to see some trained judges weigh in also. i am going to go buy some more. Right now.

Whole Foods is currently stocking this brew, at least in metro Los Angels. I cleared all six off the shelf at the 3rd/Fairfax location. Tommorrow I drive to the WF at Santa Monica and Fairfax, and then I am going to hit the Trader Joe's on Santa Monica at La Brea just to see if they have any.

I'm gunna check a Chicago Whole Foods for it today. Doubt i'll find any. I missed all but one of the harvest ales. I managed to grab a 4 pack of Founder's Harvest, which was delicious.

I just picked up a case and 5 loose bottles today. Found them at Sam's in the Chicago area (Downers Grove). I saw the guy in front of me bend down and stare at a bottle...he thought about grabbing the case...then he decided one bottle was enough for him. HA! I almost shoved him out of the way to grab the rest. Sort of feel like a greedy pig, but I can live with that.

This stuff is damn good.

Whoah...SN Harvest spotted in Chicago? Thats a first. Awesome.

SWMBO and I are going to Sam's (on Clybourn) later today to pick up a few gifts for her family's holiday bash tonight. I'll be on the lookout.

This stuff is amazing. I haven't seen any for a month in SoCal though. Amazingly, BJ's had it on tap for a while. Probably the best seasonal I have ever had, and certainly the best SN in my book.

The case I bought has bottled on date of 9/25/07 so I would guess it's going to be gone at most places by now. When I tried to find it at Binny's the beer guy told me they had a total of 11 cases delivered to Illinois. Not sure if that is just their chain of stores or if he's full o' crap. I know it was a limited bottling, but that's almost as bad as Utopia which a couple people at Binny's said they got 6 bottles per store and none of them hit the floor because of all the preorders.

Back