bottling from a keg...carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I have been asked to bring a few bottles of my IPA to an office party this weekend, however all my beer is in kegs. Is there a way to bottle from the keg that will hold carbonation for 24 hours or so? I checked out the BMBF, but I'm not trying to age and was wondering if I could just fill them and cap em if its only 1 day.
Thanks in advance

This is mostly what growlers are for. But if you wanna take a bigger volume of beer and if its gonna be a same day thing, im pretty sure you can just bottle and cap. Although I would still read the sticky cause it might give you pointers.
You might lose more CO2 in the process by just filling from the faucet than if you used BMBF. I would definitely chill the bottles first. I doubt you would lose so much CO2 that it would taste flat. Also, cap on foam just in case you have to do it the night before or something.

I bring beer to work all the time, using a large soda bottle and a carbonator cap. Works great, and you can bottle well in advance, at your convenience. The caps are overpriced, but I've gotten a lot of use out of mine, no regrets. Some guys make their own out of regular caps and automotive valve stems.

I've had success bottling just like the brew pubs do their growlers.
add 6" or so of hose to the tap, fill and cap tightly.

Good to go....for a while....I've had a bottle last for 48 hours and was still ok.

Thanks for the help...I was attempting to avoid going to my LHBS and buy a racking cane due to time constraints with work. I'll try to bottle one or two a couple days before and see how they are after a day and go from there. I really only need to bring 6-12 so I may just buy some good beer to bring. the theme is to bring a beer from where your from since we have a pretty diverse group. But how much closer to where your from can you get than from your house?!

I have been asked to bring a few bottles of my IPA to an office party this weekend, however all my beer is in kegs. Is there a way to bottle from the keg that will hold carbonation for 24 hours or so? I checked out the BMBF, but I'm not trying to age and was wondering if I could just fill them and cap em if its only 1 day.
Thanks in advance

Ive taken beer out of a keg and bottled it...waited 6 months and drank it. I didn't have a problem, so I think you will be completely safe at 24 hours.

I have beer stuff all over the house. Last weekend my little one stepped on my racking cane after knocking it off the shelf. AAAARRRRGHHHH. I took a piece of vinyl tubing that I had laying around and jammed that into the picnic tap. It worked great. It was a bit of a pain to get the stopper to fit over the tubing, other than that its now a flexible bottle filler.

Back