Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centralpabrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can oxygen go bad? I got a medical grade oxygen cylinder from where I used to work. No idea how long it has been there, probably longer than 10 years. Would this still be ok to oxygenate my wort?

thanks

Can oxygen go bad? I got a medical grade oxygen cylinder from where I used to work. No idea how long it has been there, probably longer than 10 years. Would this still be ok to oxygenate my wort?

thanks

I will tell you that hospitals put expiration dates on them...if the tank is steel, then steel rust's...rust will consume 02, but short of that it should last for a long time.

I will tell you that hospitals put expiration dates on them...if the tank is steel, then steel rust's...rust will consume 02, but short of that it should last for a long time.

Actually, rusting only occurs when both O2 and moisture is present. As long as the tank is properly sealed it should be pretty good to go. But if you are concerned just refill the tank with fresh gas for 3-4 bucks. Even if there is some contamination the O2 should be reasonably fine if you use it within a few months. Maybe try blowing some air out threw a paper towel or something to see if any fine dust/rust is coming out.

Didn't think to blow some oxygen out through a paper towel, will give that a try and see if it's clean. I was old that you need to have a perscription to have a medical oxygen tank filled. There is an Airgas local, but I don't think they refill on site.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I just got a small aluminum oxygen tank at an estate sale that is still holding 2000 psi, but it expired in 1998. Should it still be fine to use then? I may do a test batch of mead or something to try it out. It only cost me $2.

02 does not go bad, the tanks need to be tested every 5 to 10 years depending if it's aluminum or steel. If your willing to try what you have sniff it first there should be no odor.

Noted. I haven't tested it out yet, but will keep that in mind. I still have a normal oxygen tank that was my dads with at least 1800 psi in it. i won't be needing the other one for a while.

Oxygen has a "best by date". Is there a sticker anywhere on it? I used to deliver oxygen and we always had to rotate our cylinders.

Oxygen has a "best by date". Is there a sticker anywhere on it? I used to deliver oxygen and we always had to rotate our cylinders.

They no longer use a best by date. The bottles have a date stamped on them when they where tested. The sticker is the lot no. and date filled and you still rotate your cylinders.

I would imagine the cost to get them tested is on par with co2 tanks... since it lasts so long and you can buy a full tank of oxygen at most hardware stores for under $10 its not really worth it IMHO unless you use a lot of it...

Back