Hop sediment from boil in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVBrewing

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of amber ale yesterday. Labor Day. I ended up steping on my siphon can and broke it, so instead of siphoning into my fermentor, like i always do, i had to pour the wort in with a funnel and ended up with all my hop sediment in there too. Im usually very careful when i siphon not to pick up the sediment. I even tie a sanitized hop bag over the the bottom end. My question is will this sediment change the flavor or create off flavors. I will be transfering to a secondary for this batch in a week or so just to get the wort off of it. Put the pick in just for fun.

ForumRunner_20130903_124010.jpg

I never filter when I am putting my wort into the fermentation bucket. It settles to the bottom and doesn't cause any off flavors. Be careful when you transfer to your secondary. I week may not be enough time. Make sure your close to your FG before transferring.

Iv just always transfered that way, so it\'s never been something had to concern myself with. I guess it makes sense that it wouldnt transfer any more hop flavor than it did in the boil.

The hop debris won't hurt a thing. It will just settle out of the beer at the bottom of the fermentor. There's no need to secondary just to get the beer off the trub. All a secondary will do is risk exposing the beer to oxygen and infection. It won't improve it at all.

I have to think that simply because the hops are left in they will impart some, if very little, flavor. I have found that since I stopped including hop trub that my beers have a slightly less astringent bitterness. There was nothing weird or off in the flavor I just noticed the bitterness clears the palate quicker though I have never tried a batch to batch comparison.

Hop trub may even be somewhat nutritious for the yeast- trub itself is fairly nutrient rich.

I usually dont use secondaries much unless im dry hopping. Never been one to be overly concerned with clairity. This batch has such a beautiful almost dark blood red color to it already that i think ill take it all the way with a secondary and then cold crash. That way it will be off the trub and i can clear it as much as possible. At least thats the idea anyway.

I never worry at all about hops making their way into my carboy after the boil. It doesn't matter at all. Also, you should never worry about transferring into a secondary, because it doesn't matter either - despite what many say and repeat over and over with no real reason.

It's best to just keep it in the primary for as long as you need to, and when it's cleared up - go straight to bottle or keg. By transferring to a secondary, just because you are worried about some phantom flavor effects that actually don't exist, you are opening the possibility for aeration, which is actually something real that you should be concerned about. Leave the beer alone until you are ready to bottle or keg.

I used to to pour the entire contents of my 5 gallon brews right into the fermentor pale, never had an issue.

Now I do 10 gallon batches, open up the valve and pour the entire contents into two pales, never had an issue.

I have never done secondaries, two months in the fermentor, no problem.

Thats a whole less work.

I think im starting to come around to the idea. Im 6 days into fermentation now and i think i will just leave it on the trub. Im gonna let it go a total of three weeks and start lowering the temp in the last week to clairify and bottle. Major fermentation is done at this point. Just gotta let the yeast clean up after themselves now. I need a bigger freezer. It works great but only holds one full size carboy at a time. I have to split it into smaller jugs to go over five gallons.

Latest posts

Back