Hairy Armed Brewers Unite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I know I can't be the only one out there that has hairy arms. Does anyone who is hairy armed have any tricks or techniques they would like to share when it comes to keeping arm hair out of the boiling wort or at any other part of the process?

Thanks!! :mug:

I just hope that Evan! never brews in his birthday suit (in case you don't know what I'm talking about go look up his 5k post 'surprise').

Chewbacca Ale anyone?

chewbacca.jpg

I guess I just have normal hairy arms so I can't be of much help.

get your arms really wet and then give them a nice once over with a blowtorch. That should singe all the hairs off and get you ready for a brew.

I make it a point not to submerge my arm in the wort.

...well that's not quite true. A couple of times I forgot to attach my hop-back before filling my boil pot with hot liqour. Ouch. Now I start every brew day by writing "DON'T FORGET THE HOP-BACK" in my brewlog.

Alamo_Beer said:
Do you seriously shed that much?

not a lot....but not a little.....it does get to be a pain when i'm cooking and it something i just realized will be an issue when i'm brewin'

knee high toob socks,cut holes fer yo' fingers. And if you feeling especially fashionable get the sporty ones with the stripes.

Dextersmom said:
I know I can't be the only one out there that has hairy arms. Does anyone who is hairy armed have any tricks or techniques they would like to share when it comes to keeping arm hair out of the boiling wort or at any other part of the process?
I suffer from the same affliction (Sasquatch arms) but have found a method that helps a lot. Before brewing, I wash up and scrub my forearms with a very stiff brush. Any hairs that were contemplating abandoning ship will fallout and rinse away with a good scrubbing, keeping them from falling into the brew later.

I do the same before cooking, or wearing white clothes. :D

with all the dog hair that makes its way into my mast tun and brew kettle, I'm not worried about a little arm hair.

Dextersmom said:

Thanks!! :mug:

Hairy arms + Dextersmom are we talking "Greek/Italian chick" or "Chewbacca chick"?

I keep my arm hair short by turning the gas on high under my kegs and then lighting them. The resulting poof always has that nice burning hair smell.

In Tennessee, it is illegal shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.
In Iowa, one-armed piano players must perform for free.
In Idaho, you may not fish on a camel’s back.
In Arizona, any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.

dude are those real laws? thats is f***in funny!

my friend had to stick his hairy ass arm into the bottling bucket a few weeks ago when the spigot popped out! i think they're gonna be ok, though.

"Harry Hands Hefe"

heh.

I had to do that this weekend, tried a new conical and the thermometer started leaking right after pitching the dry yeast. I sanitized my arm and went in. Ended up still leaking, transfered it to a carboy and tried to fix the conical today. Still couldnt get it to stop. Dam weldless fitting on such thin stuff. Will re-group and try again tomorrow.

I challenge anyone to taste two beers, one with man-arm hair and one without, and taste the difference. Like linecooks say, "a little floor-spice makes everything nice." Like hairy homebrewers say, "a little man-hair, no one will care."

:)

mike

010955.jpg

http://vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=47729-228&inE=1&highlight=47729-228

MLynchLtd said:
I challenge anyone to taste two beers, one with man-arm hair and one without, and taste the difference. Like linecooks say, "a little floor-spice makes everything nice." Like hairy homebrewers say, "a little man-hair, no one will care."

:)

mike

lolol i've worked with some hairy cooks before.....never heard the "man-hair, no one will care." line before tho lol

capcrnch said:
Hairy arms + Dextersmom are we talking "Greek/Italian chick" or "Chewbacca chick"?

not really a mom....more of a sick and twisted ruse...or something

I just have to tell you that this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. Some of you guys have beards and long hair, too, so arm hair never even occurred to me!

You know, I now have a visual image of you Sasquatches brewing and I can't stop laughing. You guys are awesome! :D

I switched to whole hops. When I am straining the wort out of the kettle the whole hops make a filter bed that catches arm hair real good.

Really.

j/k

YooperBrew said:
I just have to tell you that this is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. Some of you guys have beards and long hair, too, so arm hair never even occurred to me!

I have long blonde hair and have wondered if any has dropped into the brew... I never really thought about wearing a hairnet until now.

Do you have to match the hair color to the beer style? Blonde ales and light lagers for me... Brown ales for others?:mug:

Back