Grilled Brussels sprouts. Who knew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Grilled a pork tenderloin and asparagus last night. Just on a whim, I grabbed a couple handfuls of Brussels sprouts, tossed them with olive oil, Kosher salt and pepper, put them into a cast iron gratin dish, and onto the grill it went. I kept it on mostly indirect heat and let it cook for maybe 15 minutes, turning a couple times.

It was an awesome surprise and very, very tasty. I may have found a new favorite veg to go with grilled stuff.

IMG_1334.jpg

Love Brussels sprouts! Your recipe sounds pretty close to how I cook them, usually I will add a 1/4 cup water to pan to help with keeping them moist then brown them slightly in pan, serve and grade some parmesan on top & enjoy!

The pork is a go the asparagus - maybe... The Brussel Sprouts - NEVER I hate them. They make me gag. I always thought they were little cabbages and that they should be turned into coleslaw until I saw a picture of them growing. All on a stalk. They would best be used as compost for your hop bines!!

Some time when you are not grilling do the same thing but put them in a baking pan and roast them in the oven tell they brown just a bit.

i do this. even non-sprout eaters love it once you convince them to bite into one. my version: pluck any yucky outer leaves and trim the base a little. rinse (or if they are a bit limp, leave them an hour in water after trimming) and pat them dry with a towel (important for browning), roll them in cheap olive oil, toss them in lots of black pepper and salt, put them in a baking tray or cookie sheet or whatever, but in a single layer and not crowded. give them some space or they won't brown quickly enough. into a very hot oven (~200C) about 20-30 minutes, you want the outer leaves blackened and the inside softened a little, cooked through but still crunchy. they are sweet and wonderful, nothing like the over-boiled soggy version we have probably all had and hated. but now i'm thinking- skewer some and grill over coals. have to wait until november! great side dish for bbq turkey?

Brussels sprouts are also quite tasty stir-fried in a wok with dark sesame oil, a little garlic, a smidge of Sriracha garlic/chili paste, a bit of fresh ginger & of course, soy sauce. Add the soy sauce at the very end & remove from heat as soon as it starts to caramelize. I've also added a tablespoon of honey with the soy sauce, adds a nice bit of sweet to contrast the savoury. I loves me some brussels sprouts!
Regards, GF.

I love brussels sprouts! A very underrated green, IMHO.

I trim the base off, cut them in half, then steam them for 8-10 minutes. I then toss them in some olive oil, fresh ground pepper, and sea salt, then spread them out on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven at 375° F for 20 minutes. So good!

Am I the only one who likes the outer leaves? When I roast mine, I get nicely browned insides and quite a few charred leaves at the bottom of the pan. I like to eat them all... they are like veggie caviar, what with all the bacon fat and kosher salt...

I have a "Converter" Brussell Sprout recipe that is a little too flavorful for the conniseur, but for the grown man who HATES them (or thinks he does)

Sizzle 1 slice of bacon (or leftover drippings) lay brussel sprouts halved flat side down and get them a good bit of color.

Add a half inch of water and chicken bullion (or stock of course) salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.

Simmer until still au dente but cooked and BAM. Brussel Sprout fan.

You could amend this for the grill I suppose.

Love the Brussels sprouts on the grill. I usually over roast them, just 'cause it's more convenient, but there's no denying the grill makes them even better.

I also love the grilled asparagus. Hit it with a little oil before grilling, then after, toss it in some EVOO, lemon juice, salt, and just before serving, my secret weapon is to grate just a bit of fresh nutmeg over top. It takes asparagus from great to frickin' awesome. Trust me on this one, it'll change your life.

my favorite style of Brussel sprout is roasted with caramelized onion and oven dried roma .tomatoes, salt, peppers and evoo

You know, all this bacon with brussels sprouts talk got me to thinking, I've never made brussels sprouts with bacon. Oh sure, I've used bacon grease to stir-fry 'em, but never actually added bacon.

So now I'm thinking bacon wrapped brussels sprouts. I think I'd have to at least blanch, cool & pat dry before wrapping those thick slices of bacon around them & securing with a toothpick...
Or maybe a few on a skewer?

If I used the whole slice, I could totally encapsulate each sprout, thereby sealing in all that sprouty goodness with loads of bacony goodness. Maybe even kabobs. Oh I think I'll have to explore this.
Regards, GF.

What if you made your kabobs and alternated your bacon brussels sprouts with hardboiled quail eggs brushed with bacon fat or shmaltz?

Love the Brussels sprouts on the grill. I usually over roast them, just 'cause it's more convenient, but there's no denying the grill makes them even better.

I also love the grilled asparagus. Hit it with a little oil before grilling, then after, toss it in some EVOO, lemon juice, salt, and just before serving, my secret weapon is to grate just a bit of fresh nutmeg over top. It takes asparagus from great to frickin' awesome. Trust me on this one, it'll change your life.

I'm beginning to think that nutmeg is a distant cousin of bacon simply because adding nutmeg, much like adding bacon, seems to make everything better. (Put a little nutmeg on a ham and Gruyere sandwich - holy smokes.)

Grilled a pork tenderloin and asparagus last night. Just on a whim, I grabbed a couple handfuls of Brussels sprouts, tossed them with olive oil, Kosher salt and pepper, put them into a cast iron gratin dish, and onto the grill it went. I kept it on mostly indirect heat and let it cook for maybe 15 minutes, turning a couple times.

It was an awesome surprise and very, very tasty. I may have found a new favorite veg to go with grilled stuff.

Is that an oval dutch oven? or is it flat on the bottom? I need one of those!

I dont know if it is better than traditional potato salad or German potato salad... but mix boiled red potatoes with grainy dijon mustard and a couple grades of nutmeg. Fantastic for a change.

I dont know if it is better than traditional potato salad or German potato salad... but mix boiled red potatoes with grainy dijon mustard and a couple grades of nutmeg. Fantastic for a change.

A little bit of nutmeg or cinnamon are often the secret ingredient that can not be identified but put something, you would never think would have it, over the top.

I'm beginning to think that nutmeg is a distant cousin of bacon simply because adding nutmeg, much like adding bacon, seems to make everything better. (Put a little nutmeg on a ham and Gruyere sandwich - holy smokes.)

I'm with you on that one. Bacon, nutmeg, smoked paprika...there are few foods that could not be improved by a modest (or sometimes liberal) addition of at least one of these three.

Damn...it's midnight, and I'm craving bacon. Not good...

Lots of great ideas for the mighty sprout -- many of which I have used with variations.

I also put them in the smoker with a little butter or EVOO, salt pepper, etc. and let 'em rip for 2-3 hours at 225F.

Here's another take:

Slice the brussels in half and marinate with balsamic vinagrette for about an hour. Bring the oven to 400 and bake for about 45 minutes. The balsamic will carmelize and the brussels taste awesome. Turned this 'hater' into a 'lover'.

Cheers!

Here's another take:

Slice the brussels in half and marinate with balsamic vinagrette for about an hour. Bring the oven to 400 and bake for about 45 minutes. The balsamic will carmelize and the brussels taste awesome. Turned this 'hater' into a 'lover'.

Cheers!

My wife does this exact same thing and there's rarely any leftovers. It's also incredible on the grill with the balsamic.

Here's another take:

Cheers!

I will have to try that. I like good balsamic on just about everything.

I do mine as a twist on the irish cabbage and bacon.

Slice 4 pieces of bacon and half an onion per lb of sprouts. Start bacon in a fry pan to get the grease out. Add onions to the bacon grease and cook until clear. While that's working boil sprouts (rolling boil) for about 15-20 mins depending on taste. Drain and add to bacon/onion pan. Saute as you normally would adding black pepper.

Turned haters into lovers.

I bought a Hymilain salt block to cook with on my grill. I season the Brussels sprouts, cut them in half, cook them on the salt block and then I toss them in bacon jam after they are done. It is the only way to eat Brussel sprouts.

I know you wrote a lot more, but those are the only words I can see, or remember. Is that bad?

It is normal, any time a sentence has the word bacon in it you are only going to remember one or two words.

All you should have gotten from that was "remember bacon":rockin:

Hhhhmmmmm...
I'm thinking of combining Creamy's tater salad idea with Riseabovebb's balsamic roasted brussels sprouts. I think this weekend is going to be a brussels sprouts & ribs weekend. Thanks for the ideas guys!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Love it! Never done it on the grill bf, always in the oven @450. I'll have to try the grill though!

GuldTuborg said:
I know you wrote a lot more, but those are the only words I can see, or remember. Is that bad?

I wrote more then bacon jam? I didn't even notice. At least the important part got through.

Back