pineapple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winewitted

Reaction score
Hello folks, making a one gallon batch of pineapple wine, I sulfited it,left the fruit inside, let it sit for 24 hours in the primary with the lid on(its a bucket) but the air lock off of course. I added the yeast yesterday and 24 hours later it doesn't smell good. Its got some carbonation but no foam, it tastes fine, but it just doesn't seem right.

anyone familiar with this?

I am familiar with pineapple wine. it makes a lot of gas and I have never gotten one too ferment out correctly, the problem is the gas it creates just clings to the wine. It is an extremely odd tasting wine when clear....I think it would be better distilled.

I am familiar with pineapple wine. it makes a lot of gas and I have never gotten one too ferment out correctly, the problem is the gas it creates just clings to the wine. It is an extremely odd tasting wine when clear....I think it would be better distilled.

I just tasted it the other day it was at 1.02 and it tastes ok, but quite hot, the sugar is there but the heat destroys it and alot of some of the more attractive things about pineapple. Meanwhile there has been no foam the whole fermentation, maybe pineapple wine is best fermented open so the gas can escape? I aerate mine alot and the smell goes away immediately after.

I just tasted it the other day it was at 1.02 and it tastes ok, but quite hot, the sugar is there but the heat destroys it and alot of some of the more attractive things about pineapple. Meanwhile there has been no foam the whole fermentation, maybe pineapple wine is best fermented open so the gas can escape? I aerate mine alot and the smell goes away immediately after.

I normally do not airlock/cover fruit wines except with a clean towel, as I stir a couple of times a day for the first 5-6 days or so.

Once the wine gets to 1.010 or so, or less, then it's moved to a carboy and airlocked. Co2 is poisonous to yeast, so stirring/aerating it really helps. Once fermentation slows, it produces less co2 so it's important at that point to top up and airlock it.

I normally do not airlock/cover fruit wines except with a clean towel, as I stir a couple of times a day for the first 5-6 days or so.

Once the wine gets to 1.010 or so, or less, then it's moved to a carboy and airlocked. Co2 is poisonous to yeast, so stirring/aerating it really helps. Once fermentation slows, it produces less co2 so it's important at that point to top up and airlock it.

do you use sulfites or pasteurization? No worries about infections?

do you use sulfites or pasteurization? No worries about infections?

It depends on what I'm making. For fresh fruit, I use sulfites to sanitize the must for 24 hours before adding yeast. For canned fruit/juices, I don't. I never heat my must or heat fruit. Well, except for things like my banana wine recipe that are specific and do boil fruit, but that's rare.

it just finished fermenting and it tastes nothing like pineapple. More like a harsh white wine, I hope the pineapple flavor comes back with age.

If you backsweeten a bit you may find the pineapple comes forward a bit, but backsweetening would be one of the last things you do prior to bottling; so you have plenty of time to see what aging does to this. Some vanilla or ginger goes well with pineapple must. Also, fermented anything is not meant to taste/smell like the unfermented version. The yeast you use can have a huge impact on flavors, aromas, etc. On the lack of foam, not all yeasts or yeast/fruit combinations produce foam.

What is your recipe, specifically, for your pineapple wine?

To make use of the pineapple core and rind, consider making tepache / Mabí / guarapo de piña. Delicious and ready in about 3 days, a great treat in warm weather; plus the 12-18 hour version is nice treat for minors if you blend with sparkling water, and an orange slice along with maraschino cherry (or ice cubes made from crushed pineapple, chunks, etc). Currently using this version, though I am known to google a new recipe for the fun of it. A dash of chili powder makes you smack your lips. http://adip.info/2010/12/fermented-drinks/

Back