Coopers Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djmel0

Reaction score
Hi all

I am relatively new to brewing. Any help all welcome.

1 coopers stout 40 pint kit filled to 20.5L
500g dark spray malt
500g light spray malt
400g dark brown soft sugar

5g lager yeast rehydrated for 1 hour in 250 ml with a big spoon sugar added and a bit of spray malt left over in bag.

I have no action 48 hours after pitching. I know the water was 28 c when I made the rehydrator did I kill the yeast? And should I re-pitch with a stout yeast I have?

Thanks

What was the temperature of the water you pitched the yeast on? What was the temperature of the wort you put the yeast in? Have you taken a gravity reading since you pitched the yeast?

OG 1.052 and the same now
Wort in fermentation bin 24 C
Water I pitched the yeast on 29 C ish :-S

All sorted repitched and within hours have a lot of activiy close to lifting the lid. I guess I either murdered the poor fools or 5g just couldn't cut it, smite you brew shop man!!

I did a bit of reading and it seems many commercially available stouts are fermented with lager yeast, so I thought let's give it a go see what the result is like. I picked up a Coopers stout kit for about £3.00 so it seemed like a good opportunity to experiment :)

Yes my temperatures are well off this time but with some practice I will get there. I have it fermenting at 15 c that's the lowest I can get without throwing it in the shed. If I do that it's going to be dropping below 0 all the time with the weather.

My aim is to brew something drinkable with a bit of strength and experiment with a Guinness surger unit.

Back