Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be bottling my Cran/Raspberry Apple that i made from someones previous post a few months ago, a bunch of brown sugar and honey..i want to say a cup of brown sugar and 3lbs of honey and champagne yeast...cant remember now lol..

Regardless, its ready to bottle where as my strict follow of the Apfelwein recipe i dont think is fermenting anymore 2 months later, but i still see bubbles along the rim of the carboy....the cran raspberry one has been still for weeks with no bubbles anywhere on the surface..and honestly it tastes pretty damn good...the apple flavor is definately there. Plan on carbing it and bottling it up and letting them sit until New Years or later...maybe crack one bottle a month open just to see how its going since ill end up with about 30 22oz bottles.

After 7 days, my apfelwein is giving me a bubble every 8-10 seconds, being kept between 17-21c. Its starting to clear slightly too. Does this sounds about right?

I just checked the taste and it was pretty fizzy; is that normal?

Am I okay testing it, or is it too likely to cause contamination?

I'm using a brewing bucket so I have to take the lid off but I sterilize everything that goes in/near the ferment, I'm just concerned that by purely having the lid off for a minute that something nasty will get in and ruin it.

What SG should I be aiming for at the end, or should I just take it that it will most likely be ready to be bottled after 8 weeks?

Are there any other steps I should take when fermenting is finished, but before I bottle?

So, If I want to bottle condition this do I need to add some yeast when I add the sugar since this will have such a high OG? I know with high OG beers it's usually a good idea. I didn't know if it was different with the wine yeast.

After 7 days, my apfelwein is giving me a bubble every 8-10 seconds, being kept between 17-21c. Its starting to clear slightly too. Does this sounds about right?

I just checked the taste and it was pretty fizzy; is that normal?

Am I okay testing it, or is it too likely to cause contamination?

I'm using a brewing bucket so I have to take the lid off but I sterilize everything that goes in/near the ferment, I'm just concerned that by purely having the lid off for a minute that something nasty will get in and ruin it.

What SG should I be aiming for at the end, or should I just take it that it will most likely be ready to be bottled after 8 weeks?

Are there any other steps I should take when fermenting is finished, but before I bottle?

You're fine. As long as you are properly sanitizing everything there is very little risk of infection. And the fizziness is normal.

And anyway, worst case scenario, in six months you are selling artisinal cider vinegar at the farmer's market.

FG should be less than 1.

If plastic is good enough for Ed Wort (Better Bottles), then it should be good for the rest of us. I have used glass carboys, better bottles, and a fermentation pail without any issues. Go forth and ferment.

From what my chemist friend tells me, the BetterBottles people are mistaken in their presumption that their product does not leech pthalates into fermenting liquids. He asserts that PET - even extra-virgin PET with no plasticizers added - is vulnerable to electrochemical attack from enzymes produced by yeast. And UV. It will, unavoidably, break down and leech pthalates.

The BetterBottles people are mistaken in their belief that it is plasticizers (high in pthalates) are the only source of pthalate contamination from PET containers. PET is made of pthalates, basically.

So, a food-grade PET fermenter will add a teeny, tiny, insignificant amount of pthalates that there is no reason to be even the tiniest bit concerned about. A couple PPB at the most.

Do Ed not post here any more? I started out reading the first of this thread (gotten to page 125) before I skipped to the end and now is reading backward. By the way great and entertaining read. He use to post all the time. I'm back almost 14 pages now and hasn't seen him post lately.
I'm on page 1006 now reading backward in this thread and is getting conflicting reports. My next question is how long is people letting this go in primary or are they racking to secondary and ageing past three weeks. I've seen a post on about 1007 where the poster let it age for a year and was wondering if that was in primary on the lees. TIA

I go anywhere from 6 to 9 mo in primary and it usually still conditions when I lager it. after 2 mo in the keg its pretty much done changing (but it does still slightly get better). i have my 3rd batch on yeast for 2 months and a full cold keg of it that is now about 10 months old. the keg in primary will probably sit for another 8 mo unless I take my cold one to a party!

So I my apfelwein turned 4 wks today and I just cannot wait any longer I have been staring at it for 28 days. I racked it into a glass Carboy ( it was in a plastic primary bucket) because i am using the slurry for skeeter pee that has been sitting for 48 hours. I was going to make my own starter or use a merlot slurry but apple sounded delish and i have tried pee with merlot which was fine but let's go with the new. Anyway I gave myself a glass of this apfelwein and I know it's early but I'm not really impressed :s everyone talks about how aging it really helps.. I hope so! Also are people degassing this stuff? It's got a carbonated feel which I read earlier in this thread somewhere was normal?

Yeeash Just took another sip

When that fresh, the apple flavor is not there yet and the tartness is rather overwhelming (without much of any white wine tastes or smells yet, either). Add a little Sprite,7-Up, or Sierra Mist.

Or just FOLLOW THE ADVICE of 10,000+ posts and WAIT. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.

DarkBrood said:
When that fresh, the apple flavor is not there yet and the tartness is rather overwhelming (without much of any white wine tastes or smells yet, either). Add a little Sprite,7-Up, or Sierra Mist.

Or just FOLLOW THE ADVICE of 10,000+ posts and WAIT. In the meantime, RDWHAHB.

I will wait, but definitely had to have a taste. What is RDWHAHB?

So I my apfelwein turned 4 wks today and I just cannot wait any longer I have been staring at it for 28 days. I racked it into a glass Carboy ( it was in a plastic primary bucket) because i am using the slurry for skeeter pee that has been sitting for 48 hours. I was going to make my own starter or use a merlot slurry but apple sounded delish and i have tried pee with merlot which was fine but let's go with the new. Anyway I gave myself a glass of this apfelwein and I know it's early but I'm not really impressed :s everyone talks about how aging it really helps.. I hope so! Also are people degassing this stuff? It's got a carbonated feel which I read earlier in this thread somewhere was normal?

Remember, this recipe is supposed to be VERY dry, so take that into consideration. Also, the final product is supposed to be carbonated.

Since I didn't get an answer I'll re ask in case anyone knows. Because this is so high in alcohol, will I need to repitch yeast for bottle conditioning or will the Montrachet hold out better for this than regular brewers yeast?

LoneWolfPR said:
Since I didn't get an answer I'll re ask in case anyone knows. Because this is so high in alcohol, will I need to repitch yeast for bottle conditioning or will the Montrachet hold out better for this than regular brewers yeast?

I haven't had any problems bottle carbonating it, even with that batch I made with significantly more sugar than instructed (not that I recommend that).
The only thing I've noticed is that it may take longer to carbonate as the alcohol level gets higher, but this shouldn't be a major issue since you'd probably be leaving it longer than that to age and allow the flavours to develop/settle.

I just bottled my applewein it bulk aged for 1.5 years. it tastes amazing. i did use regular sugar. I always let mine age for at least 6 months weather it be in a bottle or bulk. I've found that this stuff gets so much better with age, (just make sure u keep your airlock filled) is use vodka in mine. I always rack mine to a secondary after the initial ferment (as i only have two primaries). I've also read some comments regarding it tasting fizzy, that would be a because it has not been degassed. Always degas unless you are making a champagne.
Ed does not post on here as of late but if you send him a message he will almost always get back to you.

So the other day I was drinking merlot and racked my apfelwein using the slurry for skeeter pee. During this I "stole" a glass and was unimpressed. Today I came home from work and WANTED some so ( i know I shouldn't take from Carboy) i "stole" a glass. I liked it better and now I am having another one and liking it. I know I should (and will) wait for it to age. But I take back what I said the other day hehe... I likey. Can't wait to taste in a few months! I am going to start another batch cheers!!!!!

So the other day I was drinking merlot and racked my apfelwein using the slurry for skeeter pee. During this I "stole" a glass and was unimpressed. Today I came home from work and WANTED some so ( i know I shouldn't take from Carboy) i "stole" a glass. I liked it better and now I am having another one and liking it. I know I should (and will) wait for it to age. But I take back what I said the other day hehe... I likey. Can't wait to taste in a few months! I am going to start another batch cheers!!!!!

...glad you came around!

Just got home from work to find that SWMBO had opened and finished about 2/3 of the bottle of 50/50 cranapfelwine that I'd thrown in the fridge...haven't tasted yet, but I think the cranberry tannins/acids do it good...the dregs in her wineglass smelled much more of "wine" than the previous pure-apple apfelwines....will taste some after sleep....

So I "brewed" this back in July, and I'm gonna be bottling next week. Should I throw in some new yeast at bottling time? I used the recommended Montrachet champagne yeast...

So I "brewed" this back in July, and I'm gonna be bottling next week. Should I throw in some new yeast at bottling time? I used the recommended Montrachet champagne yeast...

NOOOO. you shouldn't need to add any additional yeast, and definitely not at bottling time. if you're going to backsweeten you need to add sorbate and campden tabs first.

Just found a 1 year old bottle....very different then the young stuff.....good news is I made another batch of February of last year....and have a ton of that, looks like I will have to make another 5 gallons soon.

I searched a few times and didn't find a direct answer. I want to keg half and bottle half of my batch. It's been in primary for months and tastes great to me.

Bottled will be dry and the keg will be back sweetened.

For the bottling do I use priming sugar like I do with beer and let it bottle carb? Same quantities as bottling beer on the sugar?

I then want to keg the other half. This half needs to have the yeast killed, correct? Or would the cold fridge be enough to prohibit fermentation if I add wine conditioner? Is potasium sorbate the primary weapon here? Is anything else needed? If I transfer to keg, add the potasium sorbate to the keg in appropriate dose, how long do I wait to add my sweetener, wine conditioner? Is anything else other than potasium sorbate required?

Thanks all.

As far as I understand wine conditioner (the one I have) it has unfermentable sugars and wouldn't be effected by yeasts.

My wine conditioner also states it has some potassium sorbate in it, I assume it's not enough to prevent additional fermentation.

With fall's onset and no cider left from previous batches.... I mixed up six gallons of apfelwein with two pounds of light brown sugar and a packet of champagne yeast. I'll have it jugged in time for Thanksgiving. I may put some cinnamon it it when I jug the magic elixir.

Just a quick question regarding body. I just tasted my first two batches (one with montrachet and one with nottingham yeasts) Both had a good aroma and the alcohol flavor was prevalent, however the body was just not there, it had a very thin profile. Both were assembled on august 10th , does the body develop in this recipe hence the recommendations of "it gets better with age" Ideally I was hoping that this would be worth presenting by thanksgiving, any input?:mug:

Just a quick question regarding body. I just tasted my first two batches (one with montrachet and one with nottingham yeasts) Both had a good aroma and the alcohol flavor was prevalent, however the body was just not there, it had a very thin profile. Both were assembled on august 10th , does the body develop in this recipe hence the recommendations of "it gets better with age" Ideally I was hoping that this would be worth presenting by thanksgiving, any input?:mug:

Not sure what to say about the "body"....it's a wine, so it'll never have the same "thickness" as a cider or beer.

As far as your timeline, like most people new to this recipe, you are trying to rush it. Ideally, you want at least 2-3 months in your carboy, followed by several months (common recommendation is at least 6 months) either bulk aging or bottle-conditioning. If you want it sparkling/carbonated, add some more time. WINE IS NOT BEER - YOU WILL NOT WANT TO DRINK IT IN A FEW WEEKS. Even after the first month or two it's not really all that good. Be patient, give it time. Whip up a nice pumpkin ale for Turkey Day and plan to drown everyone in apfelwine NEXT year....it'll be worth the wait! :tank:

Anyone know how much yeast are left in a carboy that's been bulk aging for almost 10 months? Racked off the lees twice. I just kegged it yesterday, and backsweetened )1 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and 2 cans of concentrate). But I won't have room for the keg in the fridge for a few weeks, at which time I was going to force carb it for a halloween party. I did fill a plastic bottle to monitor. I'm wondering if I need to stop on my way home and get some additions to make sure it's totally done with yeast. I just assumed since it's been sitting for 10 months that they'd be good and sleepy, or gone.

My first post here on HomeBrewTalk. Just had some thoughts on this epic thread. When this thread started, I was 17 and a senior in high school. Since then I have taken up drinking, graduated from college, started working, started brewing, got married and I am finally about to bottle my first batch of Apfelwein. Cheers! :mug:

My first post here on HomeBrewTalk. Just had some thoughts on this epic thread. When this thread started, I was 17 and a senior in high school. Since then I have taken up drinking, graduated from college, started working, started brewing, got married and I am finally about to bottle my first batch of Apfelwein. Cheers! :mug:

Oy! Talk about a damn reality check.....I'm gettin' old...:fro:

said to my friends last week....

man you look wasted... and your only on your first cup of apfelwein :)

That stuff is the bombdiddy

Just bottled this yesterday, and I can tell it's gonna be amazing. After sampling a glass it was very dry and had a minor sweetness in the background. I can't wait to see what it'll taste like a few months down the road.

Hellz yeah im doing this batch next week. Gonna try to let age for a year. But I know me gonna have to by a extra bucket for 2 batches cause I wont be able to wait till next season to share. Prost all!

Gentlemen,

After a long absence from the forum I wanted to get back into the brewing thing, specifically Apfelwein. I used to brew with LME but coming home from a 5 month stay in the hospital after my motorcycle wreck {2001}
I opened the 5 gallon buckets of LME to find an inch of white mold on top. I brewed with it and it gave you a buzz but tasted bad. So I started using DME. Then a 55 Lb sack of DME went up in price $35. - $40. over night and I figured my 57 cent, 6 3/4% alcohol homebrew now cost 93 cents, and I can buy a beer for 93 cents so rather than go back to LME I stopped brewing.

I always had a problem with drinking my homebrew before it was ready. From drinking out of the primary, to drinking out of the secondary, to drinking it before it was carbonated I rarely let it stay the required 3-4 months in the bottle before I drank it. Store bought beer is always ready so I just drank store bought beer. Also since I am a coon hunter I refused to spend all the cool weather, all coon hunting season in the kitchen slaving over a hot brew pot to save 15 cents on a 12 oz beer.
Then I got a new Doctor who told me: "Jack, your health depends on you not drinking beer." So everything went from bad to worse and I got even more depressed.

I thought about it and realized my Doctor being from India doesn't drink beer. I mean who ever heard of a beer made in India. Ever hear of 'Mahatma Beer'? How about 'Yogi Beer?' I realized I was worrying needlessly and I needed a beer so rather than brew beer with all the cooking and mess I thought I would just make Apfelwein. I still have my 3- 7 1/2 gallon primaries and my 3- 5 gallon secondaries and if the first few batches were made with no sugar there would be little waiting before I could drink it. Then a few batches with sugar and try to put them back to age. 22.5 gallons of 6- 6.5%, 15 gallons of 8.5% and the first batch being ready early because of being sugarless I can make another batch in the primaries.

I liked my old recipe for ale mein acht pfund hammerbier, 'Crystal Bisquet'.
I gave two bottles to a nurse at the Hospital and it got rave reports. {One of the few batches that had been in the bottle for 3-4 months} I like to brew and I like to drink beer. I like to coon hunt too so I will just have to work harder. I get a disability check Wednesday and I'll go buy apple juice and yeast and get started. Get my old brewing stuff down from the attic, my Hamilton Tavern apron from Lanark Scotland 1743, clean up all the gear and get busy. It's good to be back...

Jack the Knife
{Jack Hamilton}
and Dukedog
{Sandymay died last March}

Started my batch on August 13 and it has been 6 weeks now. I am planning on bottling and letting it carb. Can I get some input on leaving it dry vs sweetening with apple concentrate?

Also when I rack the wine off of the lees, would it be a good idea to leave the lees in there and start a batch of skeeter pee right on top?

I started 5 gallons of this about 2 weeks ago, I've noticed there hasn't been any bubbling in the airlock for a good 4 days so I decided to check it out with the hydrometer and it is at 1.00 right now. Is that to quick or does that sound about right? I know the directions say it doesnt require racking to a secondary but would it hurt at all if I did rack it to a glass carboy?

Main fermentation is probably done, but leave it in until it clears. Generally about 4 weeks, though I always leave it in for at least 8 weeks. No need for secondary, but it probably won't hurt. Then again, the yeasties are probably still gobbling up some of the byproducts and it is best to leave them to it until they pretty much all drop out.

Back