mead taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
I have drank wine.....
I have drank cider....and just about anything else .....

But what does mead taste like??......other than mead

Thanks

Its hard to compare it to anything else. Sweet sack mead tastes like honey, but dry mead tastes like... dry mead.

thanks
I was looking around and found some other post that explained it some.......well there goes another carboy!

Just get honey you REALLY like the taste of. Depending on where the gravity finishes, for sweet/dry level, is how much of that will come through. My initial batches of traditional mead, made with great regional honey, finished sweet and tastes beyond great. The flavors change as it warms too, making it even better. You'll find the temperature that you enjoy it at most, and you'll try to drink it there every time. :D

IMO, making mead is one more great thing you can do. Just be aware, you're looking at 12+ months from start to glass... Also for the love of all that's honey, don't cook your honey must. Have your ceiling at 100-110F and that's it. You can even use zero heat to make it... So it's probably one of the easiest/fastest things to start.

Quick to start, slow to finish. :rockin: :ban:

the taste of Mead....that is like asking "what does wine taste like?"

it is often sweet, but can run from very sweet dessert-wine to dry as Champagne. Honey is the flavor that is either "unmistakable" or "just a delicate hint", depending on the recipe.

When you get into melomels or metheglins, then things get more confusing...or interesting, depending on your point of view!

cheers,

robin850

The closest thing I could compare a sweet mead to is plum wine, or maybe a sweet riesling, except that instead of grapes you get ... honey. The nose is entirely different - it's almost perfume-like, except not in a scary old lady way, more like edible flowers.

Back