Making a "flavored" beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronc5150

Reaction score
Hello all. Question for you experienced peeps out there. A friend of mine has recently came up with a good "concoction" when we are drinking beer. In a draft beer, we will muddle a certain vegetable into the beer and add lime and salt and it has an amazing flavor. My question is, when brewing a batch of beer, how could we get the good flavor of that vegetable into the beer?

I have heard boiling a bunch of it and adding the juice to the batch, but then it will lose most of its flavor while fermenting...

Thanks for any help,
Aaron

a bunch of us will do something like
A) bake it for a bit and add it into secondary or first depending on the flavors (veggies/pumpkin etc)
B) have them sit in vodka for a few days and dump it into secondary
C) boil it (depending on what it is) to steralize and dump it into first or secondary.

What type of stuff are you wanting to throw into the beer?

been thinking of a cucumber beer here too lol. honestly, i'd put it in a pot with just enough to cover the cucumbers, get it to 170ish, hold it there for like 10 mins to pasturize and dump it into the fermenter. (chill of course) did that for oranges into primary, worked wonderfully.
i'd do it in the secondary because the cucumbers flavor is very very light.

Rivenin, did you mean to say with just enough water to cover the cucumbers? and once they pasteurize, do you just dump the water into the fermenter?

Yep! Just make sure and chill it to the wort temp. Read the links revvy posted above. Should give you some great ideas as well

Back