Cranberry apple wheat ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanNumeral

Reaction score
I want to make a cranberry apple wheat ale this weekend and couldn't find fresh cranberries to use because they won't be in season until November. Would frozen cranberries work the same if I were to use them for a cranberry apple wheat ale?

Frozen will work fine. In fact, I'd recommend doing at least two freeze/thaw cycles to break up the cell walls and thus extract more flavor from the cranberries. Also consider pasteurizing the berries at 150-160F for 15-20 minutes to reduce the risk of infection, assuming you're adding the cranberries to your secondary (this is what I've done in the past).

Since I posted this last I've been carefully reading over this recipe and can't seem to figure out the order. Anyone care to help/explain?

The following has been cut, pasted and bolded from the OP's link...

Brew this up adding the liquid extract late (20 miutes left in boil). Add yeast nutrients right at the end of boil before your kill the flame. Ferment in primary for 7 days. Blend all the fruit in a food processor to make a rough relish; rinds, peels, seeds and all!!!. Put that in the bottom of a secondary fermentor. Rack the beer on top of it. Save a little 8oz of beer and dissolve the pectic enzyme in it. After it is dissolved, dump it in the fermentor. I let mine sit in the primary for ten days, seven may be better to avoid over tarting from those berries.

I am going to guess that in the last part the brewer meant to type in secondary but lists primary and did not notice this. I put that in Italics. Then it reads right.

At any rate I would follow the instructions and use 1/3 less cranberries than this calls for as suggested by the brewer!

Let us know how it turns out.

I was actually wondering which order to add the dried malt, liquid map, and honey after the initial rolling boil.

I was actually wondering which order to add the dried malt, liquid map, and honey after the initial rolling boil.

I would add in the DME before the water was hot, If you mix it slow it wont clump as much. Then after it is mixed well. bring that to a boil. then add hops as normal.

After the 30 min. remove from heat. With a large sanitized spoon and the wort off the heat, pour the LME over the spoon slowly, mixing it in. Then repeat for the honey. Cool as normal.

The reasoning is, LME does not need to be boiled and honey really doesn't. The LME can scorch easy and the honey even easier. Since they do not need to be boiled remove from heat then add. The DME is a PITA to mix in no matter when you do it AND you need some sugars to get decent hop utilization, this is why I chose it for the boil.

GL!

Latest posts

Back