Simple Brewing est. 2009 : The build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo may want to take a look at 2P-Twent-E in my sig. It is a single tier version of this build including all the safety changes mentioned in this thread.

I can't wait to finish that thing!

Thanks for just tanking the rest of my productivity for the day! I've looked there before but not as much as this one.

I also want to note that on our last brewday, we packed up the entire brewery fermenters and all and headed over to my brewbuddy's house... IN MY MINI.

How freaking great is that. I was geeking out, I can't believe I can transport this whole thing in the MINI with a passenger.

I could be wrong but I didn't see the actual enclosure for the controller and pump on the build list. Could you tell me where you got it from. Love the build and the Twent-E2. Thanks

Just some fun pics of last weekend. I actually have pictures of brewing now... amazing. I am terrible at taking pictures. Luckily, my friend snapped a few and emailed them to me.

DSC02239.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

DSC02233.jpg

DSC02240.jpg

DSC02244.jpg

So I finally got around to making the housing for the element... safety first (or not).

Here is what I did.

CIMG5144.JPG

It is a cannibalized plastic box with an all weather face plate. The recessed outlet is sealed up with silicone and the box is fully plastic welded (plastic specific epoxy) to the keg exterior.

I used a profile guage to steal the profile of the keg:

CIMG5146.JPG

Then, I traced that profile onto the box, and cut it out with my mini band saw.

Then I clamped the box in place with a bungie cord, and epoxied the crap out of it. Wiped smooth with a squeegee and bob's yer uncle.

CIMG5145.JPG

The flash picks up some extra epoxy, but it looks perfect with the naked eye.

Just some fun pics of last weekend. I actually have pictures of brewing now... amazing. I am terrible at taking pictures. Luckily, my friend snapped a few and emailed them to me.

DSC02239.jpg

BTW, I was meaning to ask, how many burners on the stove do you need to get the tool box hot enough to maintain mash temps? :D

When I first saw this pic, it looked like that burner was ON.

Ed

Brewing for the first time right now. We are doing an American wheat 50% 2-row / 50% wheat / Chinook and Cascade / Nottingham on a cake

Mash has been awesome. The HERMS is sweet!!! :rockin:
Very pumped to see this post. I am going with 2 seperate (as of yesterday) Brutus 20's. A 10G for the garage and a 3.5 gallon replica of jkarps for indoors for when it's too cold or hot or I want to take it somewhere and can only rely on a 20A breaker. The one thing that continues to nag in my mind as I'm slowly building to integrate pumps, is draining the mash tun. I've had one stuck sparge in my life and and scared of another:D This 50% wheat bill kind of eases my mind. :mug: Also, very cool to see this system in the real world vs Sketchup drawings. It's always fun to see a project go from brainstorm to production.

When I first saw this pic, it looked like that burner was ON.
haha Same here

Yeah, it was fun to get it built. All that is left is to get a second rubber keg for the mash tun. Then it will actually be done.

My buddy kind of fell off the map. This is not my brewery, but he hasn't brewed on it in almost a year (since that first beer). He said he wants it to be at my house so we can brew together but then never wants to brew??? Anyway, as payment for storage, I told him I am going to brew on it whenever I want... so I have brewed about 10 batches on it.

I am really close to being done with the 2P-Twent-E (I just need to build the kettles) then I will be rolling with two of these!

I've been lurking long enough! Figured I would post a pic of my finished Simple Brewery Clone. I decided to go with a RIMS setup and BCS-460 control. I have 5500 watts in the BK/HLT, which is a little overkill. Thanks for the inspiration Boerderij Kabouter!

3194-finished-setup.jpg

Could you use a couple of aluminium or ss pots instead of the 1/4 bbls? I'm starting to look into an electric setup and this looks almost ideal.

First off - great build.

Could you tell me the name of the toolbox? I'm trying to select an enclosure for my upcoming build, and since I want it to be semi-portable I was wanting to do a toolbox instead of a proper electrical enclosure. The hip-top boxes look fantastic, but I can't seem to find one in black. I went to Home Depot, Lowes, Sears and Harbor Freight last night and none of them even had a hip-top toolbox... they're all damn plastic now. Amazon has this one Amazon.com: HOMAK RD00119200 19-Inch Steel Hip-Roof Tool Box Red: Home Improvement - but I was really wanting to do black. Guess I could always paint it if no other choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back