Are initial S.G. #'s usually lower than post boil #'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
This is probably a noob question. Is it typical to see lower numbers going into the boil pot than coming out of the pot? I suspect that with boil off of water the numbers do increase. Typically how much of an increase can one expect.

Thanks.

Salute! :mug:

You're right. Boil off increases the SG.

I don't have a ton of experience yet, but I generally see about 10+ points increase. For example, I brewed an ESB Friday, pre-boil SG was 1.044, after boil OG was 1.055. That seems to be the norm.

I have BeerSmith, but obviously, I overlooked this function. I printed out the recipe, but in my hast, I did not see it on the sheet. I will be more observant in the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Salute! :mug:

I don't think BeerSmith lists this on the recipe itself. You have to preview/print the "BrewSheet." This is printed instructions on how to brew the beer. Also, the numbers will only be accurate if you know (and tell BeerSmith) what your pre/post boil volumes are (ie how much you expect to boil off). Obviously, there are several variables including the length of the boil (60-90+ min), how hard the boil is, and the size/diameter of the pot.

Back