Lagering in glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdowns63

Reaction score
Hey...I hope this doesn't turn into another long glass vs. bucket vs. better bottle thread, but my specific question is can I lager at 33-35F in a glass carboy without fear of it breaking (b/c of temp)?

It has been fermenting in a bucket at 50F and I am doing a diacetyl rest at 58F, and then plan to rack and slowly ease it down to a lagering temperature of around 33-35F. I do have a plastic bucket available, but would prefer to lager in glass if I can so I can brew and use the bucket for a primary.

I did my lager in glass. Even if it freezes, it would take a hard freeze to crack it.

As others have said, chilling glass is no problem. Freezing seems unlikely as the beer has alcohol in it and has to be lowered well below freezing temperature to actually freeze.

You just don't want to shock the glass with a sudden temperature change - that could cause it to shatter.

Cheers,
Brad

Great, thanks for all the input. I'm planning to lower it down to lager temps pretty slowly so hopefully there shouldn't be any problem with shattering.

Back