I know its crazy, but will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that will work just based on sheer scale. A hops plant is orders of magnitude larger than tomatoes or peppers and have a correspondingly large root ball. Even so, I'd expect that the plant would simply re-invert itself and begin to crawl up the hanging planter and make it difficult to water.

Ok, now mind you, I've not tried growing hops (yet). I have been reading about how to do so though. The problem I see with that idea is that the horizontal root runners would have nowehre to go. Also, do you really want to try hanging it 20ft in the air, or were you planning on running the shoots horizontally? These aren't small plants like tomatoes...

I had the same thought too when I saw one of those. I doubt the thing would hold a mature plant tho'. Some mature hop plants can weigh in at 100 pounds when flowering.

This thread title is the premise of the last 1/4 of all college movies.

I think the roots will be problematic 12 feet I hear. Confirmation anyone?

My thinking was actually trimming back the plant, I know i wouldn't be able to collect a large amount of hops that way but some I believe to be better than none. It isn't ideal I know, but it is that or nothing. Unless someone has a space saver option I haven't thought about. I just want to break into it. My folks have the space an hour drive away, that might be my other option.

olllllo said:
This thread title is the premise of the last 1/4 of all college movies.

I think the roots will be problematic 12 feet I hear. Confirmation anyone?

Deep? I have heard more on the order of 2 to 3 foot deep. But the rhisome off shoots can grow, from eye witness accounts, up to 15 to 20 foot away (within 5 years) if let go unchecked through the plants life.

Skipster said:
My thinking was actually trimming back the plant, I know i wouldn't be able to collect a large amount of hops that way but some I believe to be better than none. It isn't ideal I know, but it is that or nothing. Unless someone has a space saver option I haven't thought about. I just want to break into it. My folks have the space an hour drive away, that might be my other option.

I forget the variety name but there is a dwarf variety that produces full yields with a maximum growth of 8 foot tall. Japanese hybrid........the varietal escapes me. That may be ideal in a half barrel planter with regular annual root pruning.

After reading about it, it sounds like it would be handy for growing just not very handy for brewing.

Do It!
Your only risk is the $5 for the rhizome. The topsy thing can always be re-purposed for tomatoes...

or "Tomatoes;) "

If only produces a couple of ounces, then make one batch with all of 'em an call it your windowsill IPA. Plus, if the plant struggles along for a few years, trying to grow, but hampered by harsh conditions, then it will be ready to take off running when you eventually move to a place with dirt.

I like the way you think Germey. I will give it a try. If anything other than the expected (failure) happens, I will let you know.

In the topsy turvey commercials they use the same plant for two (or is it three) different families.

This is what happens when you pause with the DirecTv HDR.

Latest posts

Back