2013 HBT Fantasy Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as I am Satan in that match up!! ;)

Got my 3B. There has been a flurry of trades in the last few days. Makes for fun FBB!! I guess the All Star break is like our July 31.

Dave

Crazy couple weeks for sure. I see that i have a trade offer but havent paid much attention as i have been on vacation. I will try to check it out tonight when i get home. I may be interested.

Ugh last day before the all star game and I have Braun, heyward, and bj Upton on the bench.

I'm going to probably throw out a flurry of trade offers this week myself. As good as my team is on paper, I'm 7-8 now. And that's WITH Crash Davis on my team.

Just sent out a trade request. I can't help feeling like I just sent a message to a girl I like in junior high and am now waiting to hear if she's into me, or if I should go crawl back in my hole.

Dude, that was sick. Wish David Wright had done a little better. However, last time he did it, it effected his swing for the rest of the year, or at least that's the belief.

True. The ball was just flying off Cespedes' bat differently than the other players. He made that power stroke look effortless. Harper has a lot more pop than I thought but his power swing looks like it takes a full body effort, while Cespedes' looked easy. Alvarez...what a bum!

I was glad Alvarez flopped. The fans in Pittsburgh gave David Wright sooo much **** this past weekend for not choosing Alvaerez out the gate for the HR derby. They booed his every at bat. Real class.

Well its Pittsburgh. The fans there are fat, loud, hairy, and greasy. They also wave a "terrible" towel at Steelers' games. Whoa, whoa, whoa...a terrible towel. That's BA.

Just sent out a trade request. I can't help feeling like I just sent a message to a girl I like in junior high and am now waiting to hear if she's into me, or if I should go crawl back in my hole.

Looks like she's not interested...

Too bad we couldn't hook up, Carson. I understand your logic.

So between AJ Griffin yesterday and Bruce Harper today, I've left 40+ points on the bench. So lame.

Well first big trade near the deadline.

Red Sox get Jake Peavy and Brayan Villareal
White Sox get Avasial Garcia
Tigers get Jose Iglesias.

Pretty happy with this one from a BoSox fan perspective.

Mets did nothing. Absolutely nothing. Most teams did the same. I guess the days of volumes of whirlwind deals are behind us.

I remember one year, '99 I believe, I was at a strip club in Atlantic City for a friend's bachelor party. We were there for the last three hours of the trade deadline. It was a blast. Add to it, a guy named Darryl was also having a bachelor party there. He was a little hesitant to go up on stage with the girls for their signature dance. Mind you, this is the NY area. The entire place erupted in a "Darrrrrrrryl Darrrrrryl Darrrryl" chant a la Darryl Strawberry. It was truly awesome.

Hey guys,

I'm struggling to keep up again this season. If you know of anyone that would be interested in taking over my team I'd be happy to give it up so that they can have the rest of the season to get it closer to the way they want it set up.

Otherwise I'll keep on keeping on as best I can.

With that in mind I probably won't be making any trades in case someone comes along to take over.

It's been fun taking part, but I think I'm a bit out of my depth...

Let me know!

Al

I have a friend that might be willing but he's not an HBT-er. He loves baseball and plays in my other league. He could be a last resort if needed. I'll mention it and see what he says if no one has objections.

I know i'm new, but hate to see you go, jump.

Thanks Ginger. I'll leave it up to the rest of you to decide who takes over on 1 condition- no Yankees fans!

Pretty sad to give it up, but I feel like I can't put in the necessary time and knowledge that you guys deserve...

So I have a thought on this.

Jump, has your knowledge of baseball increased over the last two seasons?

Do you enjoy playing fantasy baseball?

If you answered no to either question, feel free to give it up, otherwise please keep playing!

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the boost! My answer is yes to both questions so maybe you're right.

I shall keep it up for the time being at least.

Go Dodgers. That being said, I'm so happy as the dog days of summer are upon us...MLB is having a great year as there are some great pennant races going down right now. Oh, and the Giants are imploding too!

Hey Everyone. Checking in...

Looks like we have some decent races going on in the league this year.

IPA Division has Othon and Alfred in first and second, along with a three-way tie for third between me, the Yankees and Black Sabathias.

The APA Division has Carson in the lead (again) followed by BoSox Dave and Ginger. (I'm happy to have given Carson one of his two losses this year).

The playoffs are just a few short weeks away. Round One begins on Sept. 9. If the season ended today, we would see the following teams in the playoffs:
Carson
Alfred
Ginger
Othon
BoSox Dave
Yankees

The rest of us would duke it out inthe consolation ladder.

A lot can happen in the final 2-3 weeks of the season (Don't believe me? Just ask the 2007 Mets). Have fun and make it count.

Good news: JohnnyO is currently slated for the playoffs.

Bad news: Matt Harvey out for remainder of season (and possibly 2014).

I feel like I was just on "Kicked in the Nuts"

You should know by now that the Mets are not allowed to have nice things. Seriously though, terrible break with Harvey. The guy was killing it.

That is definitely a tough break.

On a side note, it was nice for the Sox to catch the Dodgers' other pitchers...you know the ones not named Greinke or Kershaw. With that said, I am thrilled that series is over. I can't take any more attention on last years deal!

Dave

Now that we are in the last week of the regular season, I have a thought...

Can we up the keepers to 9 or 10?

The reasons I think this is a good idea are the following:

1. It seems that we don't have any real slouches in the league this year. Everyone seems to have paid enough attention to their teams to not get the boot from the league. Having this continuity should increase interest in the league year after year.

2. There has been a lot of attention given to young kids who may be a year or two away, both this year and last. I like to call this the Trout-Harper affect. Thus more keepers will allow people to keep some of these players with bright futures but may not truly warrant a keeper slot with 7 keepers.

3. It will make for a more interesting draft. By this I believe that there will be a greater strategy to either keep the full 9 or 10 or keep 5-6 and get to pick 3-4 times while many teams are not picking yet. This should allow teams to either build for the future or stack up heavy for the coming season. Either way this will provide more strategies for people to choose from to build their team both for the short and long term.

4. It is more fun to be able to hold on to players for multiple seasons. It feels more like the real deal and acts more like a dynasty league without going all in.

Anyways, let's discuss it the least.

Dave

I would be all for it with a guarantee that draft pick trades would be processed correctly. I would have to draw names from a hat to keep 7, let alone 9-10.

I think that that mishap was a 1-time thing. I still feel bad how that went down. I think Johnny has stated he will not push trades through any longer before a draft. Thus, all trades will have to happen AT LEAST two days (preferably three to really avoid this issue) before the draft. The crappy part is that no one could see what happened, coming.

Dave

I am glad how the trade thing went down, because without it, i wouldnt have a team! Ha that being said, my team sucks and i don't want to keep any more than two or three tops! I would love a full draft with a chance to pick up players the players i want! But whatever the majority says, i will abide by and be happy with it.

Back