how to maximize yeast propogation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CloverBrew

Reaction score
when stepping up a starter is it more effective to add more wort on top of the yeast and spent wort on a stir plate. or is it better to decant and put a whole mess of fresh food for the yeasties? yeast pros, i'm looking at you

decant and add fresh. There is alcohol in spent wort, that can be damaging to yeast over time, plus you're diluting the sugars available.

Thats what I thought. I was having a discussion with someone at work and they disagreed with me. He's stupid, and i'm correct. Thats all that matters. Thanks

what if the yeast is has very low flocculation. wont the flavor profile be changed?

what if the yeast is has very low flocculation. wont the flavor profile be changed?
Huh? You're making yeast, not beer. The "beer" that's created in the starter typically gets tossed out, not drunk.

And what does flocculation have to do with injecting O2 and flavor profile in a starter? :drunk:

Huh? You're making yeast, not beer. The "beer" that's created in the starter typically gets tossed out, not drunk.

And what does flocculation have to do with injecting O2 and flavor profile in a starter? :drunk:

No, I think his question is valid. I believe his question could be phrased like this: If you are decating the "beer" from a starter made from low flocculating yeast, aren't you then throwing out the yeast cells that refuse to flocculate, thereby changing the overall flocculation of the yeast batch?

yes, sherma, that is my conundrum. i'm creating a yeast bank and need to keep the flavor profile as close to origional as possible. the first strain I started with was wyeast 3711. the most non-flocculant yeast i have ever messed with.

CloverBrew said:
yes, sherma, that is my conundrum. i'm creating a yeast bank and need to keep the flavor profile as close to origional as possible. the first strain I started with was wyeast 3711. the most non-flocculant yeast i have ever messed with.

I guess if you're really worried about it, you could cold crash for several days between stages. Pretty typical to col crash a couple days anyway.

How long do you usually let the yeast be agitated on the stir plate? I usually let mine go about ten minutes. Is that long enough or not? I know of one guy who let his go for 12 hours...

How long do you usually let the yeast be agitated on the stir plate? I usually let mine go about ten minutes. Is that long enough or not? I know of one guy who let his go for 12 hours...

Normally I leave mine stirring for 24 hours. Stirring for only 10 minutes isn't going to do much.

Yea, you need to stir the entire time, 24 hours typically. The idea is to keep them in suspension so they don't quit working and eat every last molecule of available sugar for maximum growth.

I do 48 hrs. to absolutely maximize the growth. When crashing the yeast, you're always eliminating the most floculent yeasts. But so is a yeast producer / brewery.

I noticed last night that the krausen was forming in 3 liter jug. I took the foil off and put the cap on and turned the lid 1/4 turn. The krausen/yeast blocked the gas outlet. I woke up to a pressurized jug. Just a small "psst". When I removed the cap the krausen then fell. Think there are any issues?

When you hit high krausen, yeast has moved on from reproduction and is actively fermenting, so when you see it foaming up/forming krausen, it's good to go.

Back