quick brew day question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjm13

Reaction score
This may be an odd question but... I used my 1gal jug to make a 2.5L starter. I will be using 2L of it for another beer, but will be fermenting a 1gal batch on the remaining 500ml. The question is; can i just pour the cooled wort right on top of the starter? or do I need to pour the starter out, re-sanitize, then pitch the starter on top of the wort as usual. (FYI this is an ale yeast WLP004)
Any and all comments appreciated!
thanks.

Either way the yeast and wort will get mixed together right? Pour on top of starter.

I probably wouldn't put 500ml of starter juice in a 1 gallon batch. I'd put the starter in the fridge for a few days to floc out the yeast then decant off most of the liquid, swirl up the remaining liquid and yeast cake into a slurry, then take out what you need for the other batch. Then put your wort onto remaining slurry if you're confident the container is still reasonably sanitary.

whoaru99 said:
I probably wouldn't put 500ml of starter juice in a 1 gallon batch. I'd put the starter in the fridge for a few days to floc out the yeast then decant off most of the liquid, swirl up the remaining liquid and yeast cake into a slurry, then take out what you need for the other batch. Then put your wort onto remaining slurry if you're confident the container is still reasonably sanitary.

My time table didn't allow me that kind of time. I decided to brew Sat as I knew I would be cooped up in the house all weekend, so as the first snow started on Friday I made a mad dash to my LHBS to get what I needed. I made the starter (my first) Friday evening, so it was only about 18h old or so when I pitched. It seems to be working ok as the 2L portion of the started was fermenting strong enough to blow the airlock off the 4gal batch in a 5gal carboy, and the one gal batch is bubbling happily away.

kjm13 said:
My time table didn't allow me that kind of time. I decided to brew Sat as I knew I would be cooped up in the house all weekend, so as the first snow started on Friday I made a mad dash to my LHBS to get what I needed. I made the starter (my first) Friday evening, so it was only about 18h old or so when I pitched. It seems to be working ok as the 2L portion of the started was fermenting strong enough to blow the airlock off the 4gal batch in a 5gal carboy, and the one gal batch is bubbling happily away.

(Sorry wasn't done... Phone issue)
Do you think the lg amount of starter will change the flavor of the beer? The plan is to mix the 4gal batch with the 1gal batch in the bottling bucket at bottling time.
Thanks.

Back