Making your own apple concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckHoosier

Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of apple cider that I've been working on at home. I took 5 gallons to dry with D47 wine yeast and am planning on just adding some priming sugar to this batch and bottling. The other 5 gallons I made with Nottingham. I racked this batch to the secondary at 1.010. I'm hoping that this didn't go to dry in the secondary and am planning to check with a hydrometer today. If this is too dry, I'm planning to back-sweeten with apple juice concentrate made from the juice that I used as my original cider. Anyone every made their own concentrate before? If so, is there much to it? Thanks for the help!

Easy enough to do, you can freeze concentrate it. So basically freeze it solid, then slowly let it thaw out and set it to drain into something that will catch it. This way the water is left behind, thus concentrate.

I have boil reduced bottled juice (2.4L to 0.4L) a few batches. Have only just used some to bulk prime but tasted pretty good. Added a slight apple caramel flavour. Pretty time consuming way to do it though!!!

Doesn't boiling "set the pectin"? If so, I think you would need pectic enzyme or be willing to deal with some haze.

I've done this by accident many times. Freezing the cider will separate an unfreezable syrup.
.....Biohazards got it. Do what he says, you'll have a concentrate.

jeepinjeepin said:
Doesn't boiling "set the pectin"? If so, I think you would need pectic enzyme or be willing to deal with some haze.

Most likely, but I'm just chasing flavour... The brew I primed was a little hazy already.

Fossey said:
Most likely, but I'm just chasing flavour... The brew I primed was a little hazy already.

Fair enough. And you sure wouldn't have gotten any caramel flavors from freezing.

Back