dryhopping in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I'm trying out a tea strainer ball to dryhop my latest batch, a centennial pale ale. I put 1oz of hop pellets in the ball, but they're breaking up and I'm ending up with some hop particles in the pour. I like the flavor and aroma, but the particles are a little problematic. I've gathered that whole leaf hops are better than pellets for dryhopping, but what can I put them in to dryhop in the keg with them that won't clog up my dip tube? An ounce won't fit in the tea ball I have, and besides making a cheesecloth or muslin pouch to dryhop in the keg with, I can't think of anything.

Nylon mesh hop bag... I use that for my whole hops when dropping them into a serving keg. An ounce of whole hops will fill the thing (once it's been in the beer) so having a larger bag is better. IMO, cheesecloth and muslin will fail in this aspect. Get the nylon bag and don't worry about it.

I use the hop bags to keep hop matter out of the liquid side (posts, poppets, QD's, etc.) and give me an easy way to clean the keg after it's kicked. I've also found that one ounce in a 3 gallon keg is wonderful. Using less doesn't provide the desired results. I might even go for 1-1/2 to 2 ounces depending on the brew. I also use the slow forced carbonation method. So the brew gets infused with the dry hop wonder over 2-3 weeks while at serving temperatures (and pressure). Heaven a pint at a time. :D

For a cheap alternative grab a pair of women's nylon knee high stockings. I dry hop with pellets in them all the time with no issues.

The tea balls hold 1/2 ounce or so of leaf hops, but as you've found they aren't suitable for pellet hops. A stocking, hops bag, etc, will all work fine though. I have a "fine mesh" hops bag that works great for pellets in the keg.

Hopefully your floaties won't clog your poppit on the diptube and be an issue for this keg, and next time you'll know to bag them.

make sure when this keg kicks that you take off the "out" post and diptube and clean it out, because hops debris will settle in that poppit and eventually clog it up.

Back