Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blh3d

Reaction score
Ok guys here is what's up. Im wanting to try all grain. Specifically brew in a bag. What i have is 4.5 pounds of 6 row pale malt from Riverbend malt house in NC. I also have some crystal 60 and caraffa III. Any help on a recipe and batch size would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Here's a recipe for a porter that would work with what you have.

2.5 Gal batch
OG 1.055
IBU's 35
60 Minute boil
Single Infusion of 6.56 qts. of water at 168 deg for Mash temp of 156 for 60 minutes
Sparge with 2.59 Gal of 170 degree water for 15 minutes.

Grain:
85% 4.5 lbs 6-row
10% 8 oz Crystal 60
5% 4 oz Carafa III

Hops:
.50 Northern Brewer Pellet at 60 minutes

Use whatever yeast you like, for something dryer use US-05 or WLP 001, for malty british stye use S-04 or wlp002.

I have some Amarillo Cascade Zythos blend and NZ Pacifica hops on hand and a smack pack of American Ale II yeast. Would it be possible to make it a Black IPA?

Yes just take that porter recipe and increase the amount of carafa to get the right SRM and then layer those hops in to get the preferred bitterness-flavor-aroma balance.

Sounds great! Thanks for the advise. Ill let you know what i come up with.

Ok so here is what i came up with for a Black IPA. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

4.5 lbs 6 row pale
0.5 lbs Carafa III
8 ounces Crystal 60

1 lb corn sugar @ 5 mins

0.5 ounce Zythos blend 60 min
1 ounce Amarillo 15 min
1 ounce Pacifica 10 min
1 ounce Amarillo 5 min
1 ounce Pacifica 5 min

Wyeast American Ale II

Should be about 6% abv 97 IBU's and 40 SRM according to ibrewmaster.

i love hops, but 6% and 97 ibu? that's kind of mouth-puckering. i'd drop the hops down to around 1/2 that, except for the original, and dry-hop with 1/2 amarillo for a good kick

I would encourage you to lower your corn sugar a bit because it might make it thin if you're not adding wheat malt or carapils to give it some body. Maybe keep it to 5-8% or a .5 lb.
Also if your interested in making a balanced IPA I recommend spreading your hops differently so you get a better balance of bitter and hop.

IBU's 64 which will taste plenty hoppy and well balanced with your malt bill
.30 Zythos @ 60
.30 Pacifica @30
.30Amarillo@30
.30Pacifica@10
.30Amarillo@10

1oz of choice at flameout
1oz dry hop in final 5 days of fermentation

FWIW :mug:

I really appreciate the help! What are your thoughts on switching the corn sugar with light dme? Would that help the body any?

Latest posts

Back