maintaining SS keg MLT temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all: I have made the switch from the cooler to a 15 gal SS keg as a mash tun last year. I have had a bugger of a time trying to stabilize the temps.
1) I wrap it in 2 layers of the bubble reflectix(sp?) wrap, didn't help.
2)I added a blue sleeping pad over the wrap, helped but still lost temps.
3) lastly added a decent sleeping bag over the entire setup(reflex and sleep pad). The last setup was the best but still lost temps(5 degrees over 30 minutes. I find this unacceptable. I am constantly adding heat to the MLT. Kinda a pain especially since I use to take a nap when using the Coleman.

Initially: I bring the water and SS MLT keg up to temp, I wrap it wait 10-15 minutes to stabilize temps, temps always seem to hold, then add the grains. The temps usually hits the mash temp. It holds ~15minutes then begins its decent. I want to go back to taking a nap during the mash.

I'm thinking the SS keg temp does not properly stabilize thus the drop in temp. Anyone have this problem? I might be headed back to the cooler.

Appreciate any advice, Charlie

Back