Where is 5 gallons in a corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I know I could use a known volume of a flask or such to calibrate a corny volume. Call me lazy. Where exactly is the 5 gallon mark on a corny keg? The weld? Up to the gas in tube?

I'm expecting a 2L Erlenmeyer flask from a lab supply retailer (Fisher Scientific) to be accurate.

i always mark my carboys at the 5g line. - and usually never transfer a full 5g to the keg due to trub loss etc.

Water (SG 1.000) weighs 8.328676 lb/gal. Get an accurate scale, add water till you get 41.54 lbs. net

Depends on what you mean by accurate. Erlenmeyers are NOT accurate by lab standards--a graduated cylinder is a better choice.

The weigh method is much better, but remember that only distilled water at 20 C has that density.

Accuracy may be over-rated in brewing. As long as you brew the same way, any errors should cancel out from batch-to-batch giving reproducible results.

Back