Oxiclean + TSP + bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
So after a few attempts at using oxiclean for delabeling and general cleaning, I found our water is just too hard, I get that nasty white film just setting overnight. Even if it doesn't form the film it's a PITA to rinse off.

I read a few posts here about how adding TSP will help eliminate that film from forming. I found some at Lowes, but in reading the box it says it will etch glass..?

Anyone here add TSP to Oxiclean and use in bottles/carboys? Maybe at low concentrations it won't etch?

It seems my only other choice here would be PBW, but that could get pretty expensive when using for big batches of delabeling and such, but I thought I read that PBW was basically just Oxiclean + TSP.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!

Kosch

I know I'm using TSP on the walls I'm painting. I have very hard well water and Oxyclean never leaves a res. I sometimes soak for days. I'll have to read more into this..

PBW is basically percarbonate (Oxiclean) + sodium metasilicate (a TSP substitute). The real stuff is more readily available up here so I use a true oxi-tsp mixture without any etching problems.

I mix at 70(oxi)/30(tsp) by weight and my little scoop with hold 1.25oz which I mix with 4-5gallons of hot water. It might be just because I'm using it at such a low concentration but it hasn't been an issue.

TSP will etch glass. I've seen people get careless and let it drip onto windows while cleaning walls before painting. Not a pretty picture and no way to reverse it although vinegar can help remove some of the haze.

FarmBoy530: Yeah it seems to be pretty common, do a search here for oxiclean white residue. I believe it's something about when the solution cools. I have some I've left for a week and cannot completely remove the white haze,

Thirteen: Awesome, that helps a lot! It's funny, they banned cleaners with phosphates here (dishsoap, laundry soap), but you can buy this big box of TSP powder for $7. I'm going to try it out on a small set of bottles and see how it goes, I feel better trying since you said you haven't had issues.

Thanks!

Kosch

I have read in the past about the oxystain, however I don't remember in detail. I have well water with calcium and iron in very high amounts. I'll fill a 5g carboy with HOT water and 1/4C-1/2C oxyclean and sometimes leave for 2-3 weeks before rinsing (very very very well) and I have never had any film, or problems.

I used to use 1 tbsp of tsp per gallon and it worked ok after about 2 days of soaking. I started using oxyclean and it works quicker and better with my water, no white film at all. Never had a problem with etching with tsp at the concentration I used

TSP was a common ingredient in dish washer detergent. It helped keep the water spots off the glasses. Used in the proper amount it should not etch glass.

The Gubment had all Phosphates removed from washing detergents because it has a fertilizer affect on water plants, upsetting the balance (Although some claim that the percentage of phosphates from household use are a small fraction of what farmers use...)

I've used TSP in my dishwasher to remove white film and water spots and it's worked well.

TSP was a common ingredient in dish washer detergent. It helped keep the water spots off the glasses. Used in the proper amount it should not etch glass.

The Gubment had all Phosphates removed from washing detergents because it has a fertilizer affect on water plants, upsetting the balance (Although some claim that the percentage of phosphates from household use are a small fraction of what farmers use...)

I've used TSP in my dishwasher to remove white film and water spots and it's worked well.

That is great, but I wouldn't recommend anyone use a product that specifically says not to use on glass. But that is just me. Good luck with the cleaning and foggy spots.

Look up cleaning lab glass if you want to know how its properly done.

I've heard that TSP is bad for septic systems. Proceed with education and caution if you have one.

Back