Dogfish Head World Wide Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianroberts

Reaction score
Looking for an all grain recipe for this brew,anybody have one?Thanks in advance.....Brian.....

I'm thinking the switch from 12lbs Dark DME to All grain is gonna be hard to figure,what about 20 lbs of Marris Otter,pre boil volume at 9 gallons than boiled for 120 min,would that get me anywhere near the same as the 12 lbs of dark dme?.....Brian

No I never did find a recipe ,nor did I brew this with what I thought would work out, I bought a bottle of, wws at my local Friar Tuck and was not impressed,way to hot! I like high gravity brews,but this one is off the charts....B....

you cant drink that beer fresh. with a little age it tastes like a cross between an imperial stout and a port.

i was told by someone that interned at DFH that for 120 min and WWS, they added daily doses of dextrose to the beer to get the abv up. I would think to brew a 10% stout then start dosing it with your sugar of choice every couple of days until you could get it up to the level you wanted. You would probably need a champagne yeast once you get to the higher abv levels.

The bottle I bought wasn't home brew it was from DFH its was from 2008,I bought it about a month ago, I wasn't impressed, I am a a big DFH fan,love there Rasion,90ipa and Brown ale,just not a fan of WWS....B...

I personally am a big fan of this beer. I find it really complex and well balanced. If anybody knows of a clone that's surfaced since last this thread was active, I'd be very interested to see what the recipe for WWS is.

mccann51 said:
I personally am a big fan of this beer. I find it really complex and well balanced. If anybody knows of a clone that's surfaced since last this thread was active, I'd be very interested to see what the recipe for WWS is.

I have a bottle from 2009 I am going to try soon and I am thinking about a clone recipe for it too. I'll post it on HBT when I do it and let you know. It will be in the next couple of months for sure, but I'm not rushing it. Doing the DFH 120 right now and its a hard brew to pull off technique wise. Learning a lot that will help me with this one though.

As for all those that think it's too hot, it is an 18% ABV beer after all...

I have a bottle from 2009 I am going to try soon and I am thinking about a clone recipe for it too. I'll post it on HBT when I do it and let you know. It will be in the next couple of months for sure, but I'm not rushing it. Doing the DFH 120 right now and its a hard brew to pull off technique wise. Learning a lot that will help me with this one though.

Yes, please post! If you could post here so I see it in my subs, I'd appreciate it.

As for all those that think it's too hot, it is an 18% ABV beer after all...

Seriously :D

Subscribed. Drinking a 2009 bottle right now. Smooth sweet roasted dark honey taste. There is some heat, but not as hot as it is when its new.

I'd LOVE to see how this turns out and DEFINITELY WANT (strike that...NEED) to brew this.....I have brewed a "big mama's barley wine" from a book that Sam Calagione wrote ("extreme brews" I think).....and it took some regular dosing with sugar and yeast nutrient/energizer (I think). I think I got it up in the low-teens %wise....was hot at first..but mellowed out well after 5 months or so...but was drinkable before that!

Anyway, I'm hoping one of ya posts a recipe and/or results!!

:D

Just had my first ever and wow! I am blown away. Yes this is a very strong beer, but I would never call it hot. No idea on age, I got it at Eataly in Chicago. Wish I'd gotten another, but sheesh $10/bottle, before I knew what it was.
Website shows 15-20%. That is a huge margin, this bottle has NO listing of abv on it, I guess that is legal in Ill?

So...thread necro...any hints on a clone?

They don't have to list it on the bottle from what I understand if it varies from batch to batch. Eatily should have been able to tell you the vintage (also stamped on the bottles). Probably a new release though because that is the base price at $10/bottle. I'm going with a ton of base malt, chocolate malts of more than one variety, some roasted barley and black patent for balance (but not a ton because they aren't heavy one the palate like a RIS) and a neutral ale yeast followed by wlp099. Use a good high beta acid hop at 60-80 IBU (glacier?). Just my guess though. Oh, and simple sugars like the 120.

If it had the dogfish logo molded into the glass bottle it was current vintage (2013) if not then it was not a current vintage with the last batch before current being 2011 (some of the 2011 was bottled early 2012) I am a huge fan of wws, I have bought and drank at least 6 cases of it (different vintages). As for a clone brewski nailed it.

Also fyi it will be brewed bi annually (at least that's the last info I have heard about it) so the next release will be late 2015.

I need to try making this now. I'll work up a recipe soon and post it for review.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I need to try making this now. I'll work up a recipe soon and post it for review.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looking forward to it! If you post up the recipe my brewing partner and I have a 53 gallon bourbon barrel that needs to be filled.... it will likely be a winter project to help us stay occupied during our slower brewing months since we don't like brewing in the cold. We could trade bottles at the end if you would like!

Latest posts

Back