Missed OG with Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webbie99

Reaction score
I just brewed my second extract kit (Blonde Ale from AHS) and after forgetting to get OG on my first batch, I made sure not to forget this time. Here is the problem:
the recipe said OG of 1.048ish. My hydrometer said 1.030, but this was taken in the little tube it came in and I could not get it away from the side. Recipe only had 7lbs of pale malt. Any ideas why the OG would be so low?

Did you do a partial boil? I believe AHS recipes call for a 2.5 gallon boil. So maybe when you poured the cooled wort into the fermenter with the rest of the water, it wasn't all completely mixed when you took the reading, essentially giving you a "rich" sample in the hyrdometer tube. I did the same thing with my first 2 AHS extract batches:rockin:

I did about a 3.5 gal boil, and had boiled top off water to get to a hair above 5 gal as the recipe called for. I shook the carboy as vigorously as I could, but maybe did not give the wort and water time to get friendly. Oh well, I pitched the yeast and have the beginings of a krausen forming as I type.

Well if you used 7 pounds of malt extract you would definatly be above 1030 - I wouldnt worry too much about it - if you were really worried maybe try and take another sample - but id say let it be

I am not too worried. For a newbie brewer I think I worry less than average. I am getting bubbles in the air lock, and am sure the yeasties will find the sugar no matter where it is hiding.

Back