Pine Nuts in a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattymatumbo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting pine nuts in my moose drool clone. I assume the best way to go about this is the dry hop method, any ideas? How much should I use, should I break them up, etc...

Pine nuts have alot of oil in them, and this will kill the head of your beer. There are ways to remove the oils. Look for posts about making beers with pecans to get some ideas.

I don't know if this would be something that would happen if you used them in beer but some people get a metallic taste in their mouth from eating pine nuts (my wife is one of them). It accumulates over time so if you just have one now & then, it may never matter. Just something to think about...

From Wikipedia:
Risks of eating pine nuts

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".

I dont think you could get a significant pinenut flavor in beer... its too subtle. I feel only the astringent bitterness would transfer. Also, pinenuts are really expensive.

The place up the street from me is local only, the pine nuts are from the Rockies. The problems with the head, astringent, and bitterness all sound like deterrents. Thanks guys.

You can add lecithin to deal with the oils. It works very well. I did some experimental beers that had TABLESPOONS of oil added to the mash. I added lecithin (an emulsifier) and had no issues with loss of head.

I don't know if this would be something that would happen if you used them in beer but some people get a metallic taste in their mouth from eating pine nuts (my wife is one of them). It accumulates over time so if you just have one now & then, it may never matter. Just something to think about...

From Wikipedia:
Risks of eating pine nuts

A small minority of pine nuts cultivated in China can cause taste disturbances, lasting between a few days to a few weeks after consumption. A bitter, metallic taste is described. Though unpleasant, there are no lasting effects. This phenomenon was first described in a scientific paper in 2001.[11] Some publications have made reference to this phenomenon as "pine mouth".

I had a friend that had this exact thing happen to her. She wasn't sure what was wrong and ended up going to the doctor. After that horror story I never could muster up the courage to even try them.

Could you imagine not being able to taste beer for a WHOLE WEEK!?

Back