Forgotten Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMedic

Reaction score
Last year was my first attempt at growing hops. Like most, I pre-ordered several from an online source. After waiting impatiently for what seemed like months, I received my rhizomes and planted them almost immediately, not paying attention to what I had actually received. In my hast, I was oblivious that I had not receive my complete order. Now, fast forward almost 1 year later. I’m performing my yearly ritual of spring cleaning in the garage, most importantly the beer fridge (the kegerator is in the shop). Image my surprise when I open the never used crisper to find a plain white box. I open it and to my surprise I find 4 rhizomes still in their plastic baggies wrapped in a moist paper towels (covered with mold!!!!). So I go to my little bride and inquire, being I had not put them there. Her reply, “I put them there because I thought you would find them”. I work 24 hr shifts and she put them in their hiding place while I was on duty and they were forgotten.

My question, are these little guys viable? The rhizomes are still moist and firm (don’t forget the mold). I’ve read some where they are good as long as they are not “mushy”??? What’cha you guys think? Are they worth the effort?

A couple years ago I also found some cuttings I made the previous spring and decided to give it a go. They actually came up and grew about 4-5 inches before dying. It was some time in June though. They might make it for you getting an earlier start. Let us know.

I got a rhizome from an online place and it came with mold. I informed the company after it didn't sprout for a couple of weeks and they sent new ones. THEN they sprouted!

Plant them and find out!

This reminds me that I have 2 rhizomes from a store that were last years. They gave them to me to see if I could grow them. Time to get them in the ground!

Well, I would have to expand my garden to put them in the ground right now. I might pot these little fellows and see. Just did'nt want to waste my time if there was some unknown rule about the mold thing.

Thanks for the replies. Cheers :mug:

It would be a pleasant surprise for them to survive that long, but it will only cost you a few minutes and very little effort to put them in the ground now. Not much to lose, and plenty to gain if they survive.

Would you update this thread in a month or so and let us know how they come out?

I would definitely plant them. You'd be surprised at how resilient these plants can be.

Yep. Plant 'em. That mold doesn't mean jack. They'll sprout!

WAIT! No they won't! Send them to me and I'll get rid of them for you. I will!

;)

Sorry brother, their already in the ground. Still nothing, but i guess it's only been a 10 days. Been getting funny looks from the wife when she catches me talking to them.

You will. If you are on the Eaasat coast with it being so cool...it may take a little while for them to do anything.

Just keep talking to them and when they finally start doing something, drag your wifey out there to talk to them as well.

Signs of life!!!! The cascade has 2 shoots sprouting up, nothing on the others. Hoping the others are just slow starters. WOW, resilient little buggers!!!!

*I* Thought so. I kinda figured they would be okay eventually. Just give them time and they should grow just fine. When they REALLY start growing like crazy get some pics!

Centennial starting to sprout!!!:rockin:

Now I'm just waiting on my Fuggle and centennials to take off....

NICE!

I wonder what all is involved in transplanting them from one area to another. I tried to transplant on Williamette to a sunnier area and ended up killing it.

I think.

Centennial starting to sprout!!!:rockin:

Now I'm just waiting on my Fuggle and centennials to take off....

Opps, I ment Fuggle and CTZ there.

The only time I've ever transplanted was from Pot to ground. I would think that if you moved it while it was still dormant, and tried to get as much of the root system as possible it should be ok but I'm not sure.

I dunno I had rhizomes that were stuck in the crisper like that for several months and those things never grew.

However the ones I got this year are all coming up like champs, so I consider it a learning experience.

Back